Trip Reset Knob Removal?

Trace 300 Hurst

Professional Tinkerer
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Taking my instrument panel apart for a refresh with new switches, bulbs, circuit board, cleaning, etc--which is easy--but this knob is key to getting it all apart.

I can see where someone in the past has grasped the knob and shaft with pliers, trying to remove it, but a knob that is twisted in its use to reset might not be screwed on. So....is it glued, staked, or just unscrew it CCW with some force? Or may CW. The FSM is silent other that "Remove tripmeter knob", so they think it's simple.

Ideas, please. 1970 300

IMG_4015.JPG

Some have a very tiny screw in the end of the knob and some of a very tiny Allen screw in the side. When I say tiny, I mean TINY. On yours I would look very closely around the knob for an Allen screw opening and then hope you have one small enough to remove the screw.

I think it would be the "very tiny screw in the end of the knob" version......except, if you look at my pic in the center of the knob, you'll see what I've just discovered and have been picking away at: a blob of grey epoxy.

At some point in the past either the TINY screw was lost or the hole in the shaft got buggered. Epoxy fixed it. I can understand that. My middle name is JB Weld.

But basically what you're saying is that if that either screw version (or the damn epoxy) was removed, the knob should slide right off the shaft. Gotcha.

And I have microscopically small allens and jeweler's screwdrivers....if I could only use them. :BangHead:

Well, so, whaduyaknow!

After drilling out the epoxy with a very small Dremel cutter, I found that my knob unscrews directly from the shaft, CCW. But there are no threads in the knob anymore, thus the "epoxy threads" from previous work.

I'll be doing the same thing upon reassembly. :(

Thanks guys.

IMG_1212.JPG

I figger if’n a fella asks for help, he oughta ‘least have the eddykit to holler back.

And now we all know that a 70 300 reset knob unscrews CCW by holding the shaft with tiny pliers.

Back