Triple colored cars

Such tri-tones (as pictured on that Dodge, as also on many Buicks of that era) were popular in the 1950s and into the earlier 1960s. In later years, "triple" usually means the exterior (two areas) and the interior are the same color. Remember the "triple whites" of the middle 1970s?

CBODY67
Actually, that was what I meant, a white (or whatever color)car with white interior and white vinyl roof, wondered whether that was common or not???

Thx everyone for the interesting responses.

You can get black roof, black hood, Carmel seats, red seat belts, and several different calipers colors on current charger.

I loved my 2005 mustang GT silver with the red leather and black dash/carpet

This 57 Nash keeps calling out to me. Original tri tone and factory A/C.
A friend in NC has it stored in his garage.

IMG_1265.JPG
IMG_1271.JPG
IMG_1272.JPG

Not a hardtop and it's a 6 cyl. I'd have it now if it were a V8.
I may still go for it. Just hate to get to deep in project cars.

IMG_1257.JPG

IMG_1258.JPG

IMG_1261.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

The term “Triple Black” or what ever color came later during the collector craze as I recall.
It also mandates a vinyl top or a convertible. We had a few cars in the 70s that would be called a Triple Color car today. A late 70s Triple Yellow Cream LeBaron and Triple Dove Grey LeBaron. Those cars had gorgeous leather interiors. When Dad was ordering his 73 Charger SE I tried to convince him to go Black on Black on Black. He went with Dark Green in and out and the white top. That would be the car in my pictures “garage”.

I really never considered the interior color in a tri tone scenario. It was always three exterior colors to me.
I did have a "triple black" 1966 Satellite. A 383 4 speed. It was a beauty. I got it at less than a year old from a Chrysler dealer in Dearborn that was heavy on executive pool cars.

66 satelite.jpg

Actually, that was what I meant, a white (or whatever color)car with white interior and white vinyl roof, wondered whether that was common or not???

Thx everyone for the interesting responses.
I've never seen this combination, but it would've been possible to make a true "triple" 1966 Chrysler convertible in dark blue, since a dark blue convertible top was available.

pics0043 copy.jpg

GM was big into green back then also.
My GTO was a "Triple Green" car. Originally came with a rare factory dark green top.
Don't recall ever seeing a green vert top. The white replacement top looked better imo.

My late friend Mort had a triple dark blue 66 Monaco convertible that he bought new. It was eventually parted at Nigel's (National Moparts).

I think there is a lot of confusion between "Triple" and "Tri"

I have long (40+ years) considered Tri-Tone cars to be three different colors.

Triple was applied to cars where the top, body and interior were all the same color.
Also a triple is only a vinyl top or convertible, and all green car with a green interior is not a triple (unless it two different shades of green).

Alan

an all green car with a green interior is not a triple (unless it two different shades of green).

Would such a car (clarifying edit: one with two different shades of green) not be a two-tone paint job? Here is a 1956 Newport from the Chrysler sales brochure:

upload_2020-6-3_10-13-27.png

Here is an original 1956 New Yorker 4dr sedan (for sale) in a similar paint scheme; the car's paint is original:

1956-chrysler-new-yorker-with-354-hemi-1.jpg

Last edited:
I think there is a lot of confusion between "Triple" and "Tri"

I have long (40+ years) considered Tri-Tone cars to be three different colors.

Triple was applied to cars where the top, body and interior were all the same color.
Also a triple is only a vinyl top or convertible, and all green car with a green interior is not a triple (unless it two different shades of green).

Alan
Thank you, that was bothering me about this thread too.

Would such a car not be a two-tone paint job?
No it is just a green car with a green interior, there was never special lingo for normal cars.
Two-Tone had always referred to cars with two different color paints

I have always said I like cars with color keyed interiors
2018-03-17_001.jpg

2018-03-17_015.jpg

Alan

Would such a car not be a two-tone paint job? Here is a 1956 Newport from the Chrysler sales brochure:

View attachment 380620

Here is an original 1956 New Yorker 4dr sedan (for sale) in a similar paint scheme; the car's paint is original:

View attachment 380621
Even though this may fit the idea of a triple, I just never saw the term used on anything other than a convertible or vinyl top car.

Alan

No it is just a green car with a green interior, there was never special lingo for normal cars.
Two-Tone had always referred to cars with two different color paints

We agree: what you have shown is not what I was referring to, namely, "two different shades of green" is two-tone.

Back