Trivia - Imperials banned from demo derby?

Even here in Finland I've heard that rumore... IIRC it was 64-66 Imperial's which were banned from Demo Derby's because of larger mass or something? Somebody correct me please...

i heard that they have strong frames and are just build stronger

The '64 - '66 cars I know are specifically banned. They are also the LAST full-framed Chryslers built. Many of the derbiers like the front bumpers off the '74 - '78 Chryslers, especially.

I was happy hearing that too! But then I've read about special "imperial only" derbys....

I was in Northern Nebraska for the 4th and witnessed my first derby AND was invited to go hang out a builders place. He had three Imperials a 64,67,69 and a 60's Fury III(I have pics, but will post later). He uses other Mopar cars, but uses the Imperials as donors. He removes the front clips off of the Imperials and installs them on other cars. These cars are so hacked up and thrown together, it's really insane.

In the late Seventies I saw an entry form for the NJ group and it said; "In fairness to our competitors, no Chrysler Imperials"!

The '64 - '66 cars I know are specifically banned. They are also the LAST full-framed Chryslers built. Many of the derbiers like the front bumpers off the '74 - '78 Chryslers, especially.

The derby guys call them "shockers".

They have been outlawed in Ohio for many years. I remember a farmhand ran one in the late 70's and after the first few derbies it just looked like a beater not that it had been in a DD. Makes me sick to think of it now, I don't remember the year but it had a push button transmission. I remember that much, because it was the first time I had seen such a thing.

Before Imperials were banned in my area, I remember there was a mid 60's Imperial used in something like six or eight derbies before it was retired.

I think I remember reading it was because the front ends of the Imperials during that time were built as one piece. The front fascia, fenders, etc., are all welded as one. It supposedly makes them very rigid and very tough. I had my doubts about that being the reason, so I looked at a bunch of images of Imperials and became rather convinced. If you look at the early 60s Imperials, there are no fender joints, or any joints, for that matter, from front to back except for the cut lines for the doors. Maybe someone else knows more about this, whether yea or nay!

They leave a path of destruction. I couldn't watch it to the end though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imperials were banned here for years and for one year their was a different promoter and they were allowed. My grandfathers farm sold that spring and my first car,1971 Imperial that had been behind the barn had to go,third motor blown up and sitting in the weeds for about three years. Dragged her out ,stuffed a 400 in her and had some fun(1990)! Ran her in two derbies and here is what was the outcome. Only thing that finished it was I got hit in the rear wheel and it shattered the rear punkin! scan0001.jpgscan0002.jpg

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

I knew a guy in the late '80s who did this "death to cars" shtick in Nor Cal. He told me then Imps were outlawed.

They had to ban them -- there was one demolition derby that had 2 Imperials that were still going strong five days after the track closed for the winter...
Spectators and race officials left the month before that...

Back