Trouble getting my drums off

Blackrifle

Reaction score
Just got this 66 Newport that has been off the road supposedly for the last 5 years. Wanted to install RH studs. Got the rear drum off heated the studs and they came out using a lump hammer. I installed the new studs. The rear brakes looked real good and it even looks like a new wheel
Cylinder was installed.

The front is giving me trouble getting the drum off. Any tips?

70536194761__C47EE431-9EBB-40A7-8876-862D794CB6B0.jpeg

IMG_0231.jpeg

On the front, the hub comes off with the drum. Remove the Cotter pin, the nut, washer & outer bearing. The drum should come off as long as the brake shoes are backed off. The hubs are “swedged” onto the drum. A machine shop should be able to remove the hub & press the new studs in.

Do you mean you've removed the nut, bearing retainer, etc., and it still won't come off? Had that happen once. Someone had left some shoes on for so long the rivets dug "valleys" into the drums. The guy replaced the shoes, and put the drums back on. By the time I tried to remove them, the shoes had become matched the the valleys in the drums, and were, therefore, holding them oin palce as I tried to pull. I ahd to back the adjusters all the way off to get the drums off. Took a while but eventually they came free.

Then came the search for a new set of drums on a car that, at that time, nobody made. Found some NOS drums from Birnbaum for $350.00 for both.

Just got this 66 Newport that has been off the road supposedly for the last 5 years. Wanted to install RH studs. Got the rear drum off heated the studs and they came out using a lump hammer. I installed the new studs. The rear brakes looked real good and it even looks like a new wheel
Cylinder was installed.

The front is giving me trouble getting the drum off. Any tips?

View attachment 596831

View attachment 596832
On my 1970 the drum came off with the hub, so removing outer wheel bearing is a must before removing drum.

After bearing removed, BFH to smash the sides of the drum to break it loose from the shoes.

The easiest way I found to remove the studs was to find a hole saw the size of the wheel stud. I ground the saw kerf off on the inside of the saw and used a drill press to cut the swedging off the stud where it is swedged over on the drum. Simple matter to press out then.

But since you are changing the studs anyway... Just cut them off flush and drill the center of the stud just smaller than the stud diameter and it should just about fall apart.

And yes, you have to remove the cotter pin and nut to get them off.

I also suggest downloading a FSM from this site: Service Manuals – MyMopar

Lol I never thought I had to remove the cotter pin and nut. Learn something new about these cars everyday. Love this website

Back