Trunk Condesnation

Knebel

Reaction score
I get a lot of condensation in my trunk. Especially the trunklid is soaking wet on the inside when its colder out and when i open the trunk it all runs down and drips. Is this normal or is there a way to minimize this? While we are on the topic of wet, i have a leak i cant find which makes water run down the inside of the a pillar and soak my carpet on the drivers side. The caulk on the roofline is all dried up and has shrunk, can water seep through there and make it into the cab? I had the interior trim off multiple times but cant see where the water is coming from...

Thats already a good ting to do! Is there no way for really minimizing the condesation? How do modern cars do that?

I get a lot of condensation in my trunk. Especially the trunklid is soaking wet on the inside when its colder out and when i open the trunk it all runs down and drips. Is this normal or is there a way to minimize this? While we are on the topic of wet, i have a leak i cant find which makes water run down the inside of the a pillar and soak my carpet on the drivers side. The caulk on the roofline is all dried up and has shrunk, can water seep through there and make it into the cab? I had the interior trim off multiple times but cant see where the water is coming from...

What car are we talking about? If it is the one in the photo (70-71 Fury?), check the top of your front fender, there is a bracket there with a bolt in it. This bolt goes into a threaded appliance that is spot welded onto the top of the firewall. Sometimes with age the spot welds break and a crack forms that allows water to run in. If the leak is up high and dripping down on the dash, the sealant on the windshield is bad and needs to be reset. If the threaded part is loose or cracked, usually it can be sealed with some RTV.

A lot of times, excessive moisture on the trunk lid is caused by a leak around the rear window channel. Water runs in the trunk and collects inside of the fender wells and in the groves under the trunk mat. As the car is driven the collected water is heated up and collects as condensation on the trunk lid and the tops of the rear quarters. If that is the case either the sealant on the rear window is bad or the are some rust holes under the vinyl top (if it has one). These cars collected moisture under the chrome trim around the rear window and were prone to rust thru there resulting a significant leakage into the trunk. There was no paint or other rust proofing on the under side of the rear window channel, so sometimes they also rusted from the inside out. You can check this by grabbing a screwdriver and flashlight and locking yourself into the trunk and have someone spray the rear window with a garden hose. If the channel is leaking you will know in short order. The screw driver is in case you have a teenager helping you. If a boy/girl friend shows up all bets are off if they will remember to let you out of the trunk. This is Oregon, anything that can leak will.

Dave

The GM B/C-cars (Impala, Catalina, etc.) were the WORST of that era for lower rear window rust issues. The 3M product "AlumaLead" came out about the time it was needed for these cars. At least down here (TX) the Chrysler Fuselage cars didn't seem to have that same level of deterioration. I suspect it was due to the fact that Chrysler probably put more paint in that area? When you consider that any car with a similar rear window/roof contour situation is also subject to water collecting in the lower corners, as the pinchweld is almost 1/2" below the outer sheetmetal surface and will collect water/condensation there.

When our '66 Newport was about 7 years old (I took it to college), I was messing around one sunny afternoon, in a dry portion of the year, and pulled the rubber trunk mat up just to see what was there. What I found was CONDENSATION drops on the bottom of the mat! Plus small amounts of water puddled in the depressed ribs in the trunk floor! It looked like the paint in these areas was heavier than normal, and more haphazardly applied. I looked for obvious weatherstrip issues and found none. I determined it was from the hot/cold cycles of the climate, as the car had NO history of any water leaks back there. The rubber would not let the trapped moisture evaporate out, so "trunk carpet" of the more expensive models had a double-duty purpose! When I got my '70 Monaco a few years later, with trunk carpet, no such condensation was found in that area.

The mat in the '66 Newport was thinner and more "solid" in nature, so any moisture under it would go nowhere and grow with time. The mat in the '67 Newport was more "molded rubber" and a little more porous in nature. With age, it got hard and would break when moved. I planned on replacing it with carpet later on, but it still hasn't happened yet.

These were my experiences.

CBODY67

Condensation varies with the climate of the region you are in, naturally. The condensation you are experiencing is unfortunately normal for the soggy PNW for vehicles outside.

its a 68 Fury. No vinyl Roof. I dont have any water leaking into the trunk it looks like but the trunk seal looks like it could use some replacing. To the issue with water coming into the front area drivers side, i can see it dripping from the plastic trim piece by the door, it must run down from high up somwhere and then it collects on the edge of the trim piece next to the dash and drips onto the carpet. I could not reprocude it with a hose, so i assume it happens slowly when the car is outside in the rain and it seeps through.

Pic is from google!
015.jpg

The A-pillar leak is probably the windshield, have a pro reseal it. I would remove the rear window trim to check the channel and make sure there is not a pin hole allowing water in the trunk.

Oh well. I need a new windshield anyways, its pretty much cracked in half but no glassplace here wants to touch the car cause its a classic!? Been searching for a while now... Will check the rear window trim sometime this week, thank you!

Condensation varies with the climate of the region you are in, naturally. The condensation you are experiencing is unfortunately normal for the soggy PNW for vehicles outside.

Can get it out here in the winter when nighttime temps drop to 36 degrees at times. Yes, that is probably as low as it goes here on average on a clear December night and a high pressure system overhead. My Park Lane can be very bad with this on the inside of the trunk lid.

Had to look in the garage to make sure I spelled the name correctly. I use Dri Z Air in the trunk of the Park Lane. A 10lb. refill jug from Walmart is $20 which is the lowest I have seen anywhere.

dr-_z_air.jpg

Back