Trunk Dress Up

Clayboy

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 1972 Dodge Polara originally came with options C96 and C97 - trunk dress up tire; trunk dress up. I think most of it is gone, the only thing I think is left is the black carpet in the trunk. Does anyone have these options and if so, could you share pictures? Just trying to get a general idea of what these options look like. Thank you!

In short, the "Trunk Dress-up Tire" was a carpeted spare tire cover. Just slipped over the bare tire/wheel assy. As in "slide it over the top" rather than having to place it over the tire/wheel. The "Trunk Dress-up" was the trunk floor carpet, replacing the normal rubber mat. The carpet did not have the clear "seal" on the back as most carpet does, but just bare carpet base. As a result, NO moisture (as in condensate) could get trapped under it. What might happen could easily evaporate, as a result.

The carpet that was in my '70 Monaco Brougham 4drht was nicely finished on all edges/sides. The tire cover had a vinyl edging sewn into the edges, as I recall.

There might be some representative illustrations in either the Chrysler Parts Book, some sales brochures, or in the Order Guides and such at www.hamtramck-historical.com.

Hope this might help explain things a bit,
CBODY67

Thank you! This is helpful. The tire cover is long gone, and I guess the black carpet in the trunk is part of the trunk dress-up.

Some trunk dress up options featured cardboard panels that went over the wheel tubs and along the sides of the quarter panels along with the carpet and spare tire cover to further gentrify the the trunk compartment. I don't know if that was available in your car or year... but 66 Chryslers and Imperials had them available.

I believe REM or DMT offers reproductions of them now, but again, I am not sure if they're available for your year/model.

7081417-1966-chrysler-newport-std.jpg
7081418-1966-chrysler-newport-std.jpg
7081421-1966-chrysler-newport-std.jpg
7081425-1966-chrysler-newport-std.jpg
IMG_20211017_170428780.jpg
IMG_20211017_170434951.jpg
IMG_20211017_170440279.jpg

Great pics and super helpful. Thank you so much. I will definitely check these vendors.

Back