Trunk Floor Color 1970 Chrysler

Robert99

Reaction score
Hello I am new to the group and have a question about the color of the trunk floor in a 1970 Chrysler Hurst. I assume it is painted body color, but not sure? Does anyone have any photos? Thanks

I've posted these pics so the gang can discuss the variations on these Hurst cars. Of course it doesn't need to be a Hurst. Any unrestored 300 would have a correct trunk, regardless of the color.

Pic 1
20190928_113019.jpg

Pic 2
IMG_0049.JPG

Pic 3 This the 29K mile "barn find" car that was on eBay late last summer. I assume this is correct.
47743730661_500b2dc5fa_o.jpg

Pic 4 Same "barnfind" car, closeup.
Blue Jack.jpg

Pic 5 Don't know anything about this one.....a Mecum car a year ago.
IMG_3711.JPG

Pic 6 My trunk, which I "think" is right. The *rust* you see on the wheelhousings is actually spray adhesive from the PO to hold some ugly carpet in place. The adhesive is now gone.
MQIF3380.JPG

Last edited:
Oh....here's the PO's vision of a luxury trunk, done in 1998 by an upholstery shop. It was kinda cool, but.....nope. I removed that nonsense, researched a bunch of cars, and returned my giant trunk to "yesteryear" as best I could figger.
IMG_0202.JPG

Not sure it applies for later cars, but as the story goes, for the late '50s cars, the inside of the cars were painted with a mix of all paint residues from the paint line. So it was a kind of grey color.

In my experience with various C body cars from '66 - '73 is that the entire trunk area including inner quarter panels and the wheelhouse areas were painted body color. After being painted body color, trunk spatter paint (color differed between years as did the trunk mat design) was sloppily sprayed on the inner quarter panels with over spray on to the trunk floor extensions. Spatter paint was also applied to the wheelhouse areas and the spare tire mount area. The application of the spatter paint was SLOPPY and nothing was masked off and as a result, no 2 cars were exactly the same. The photo above from Polara71 is representative of a trunk that received a lot of spatter paint. Most of the original cars that I have had my hands on did not have the spatter paint covering that much of the trunk floor area.

Back