Trunk floor paint

Davews

Reaction score
Question.... on a 1969 Polara, or Fury are the trunk pan and wheel tubs painted body color , or splatter paint. I seem to have seen both. I believe most of the 70's and newer are splatter.... just want to do it factory correct. Thanks

I have and have owned multiple survivor cars, cars with original trunks and one owner cars. The cars I own or have owned are '66 Chryslers, '68 Furys, a '70 Fury, a '70 Polara, '71 Furys and a '72 Furys + I have several friends that own and have owned many Furys and C Body's from '67 - '73 so what I am going to say here comes from over 25 years of experience owning, working on and restoring C Body cars, mainly Furys.

The factory painted the entire trunk area, floor, wheelhouses, inner quarter panels etc. body color first. The factory then sloppily applied trunk spatter paint to the inner quarter panels, the inner wheelhouses, the brackets holding the trunk hinge mounting panels, the trunk floor quarter panel extensions and the area around the spare tire mount on non-convertible cars.

The splatter paint was applied by hand with a spray gun in a sloppy manner. Usually, most of the inner quarter panel, wheelhouses and trunk hinge mounts got a good cover with a sloppy overspray onto the trunk floor quarter panel extensions. Sometimes the splatter paint covered part of the quarter panel extensions and sometimes it extended part way onto the trunk floor. They basically sprayed the spare tire mount with a couple of passes with the paint gun so some cars have a larger area covered than others. No masking was involved.

'68's used a dark grey spatter paint while '70 & '71's used almost a black colored paint with aqua/turquoise specs in it.

The spatter paint needs to have a clear coat put over it if you want it to last.

Feel free to contact me with questions.

Bill
DCP_0795.JPG
DCP_0796.JPG

I don't have all the experience that Bill has, but my 1970 Fury was consistent with what he said. I got the impression that they tried to give a good cover on the inside of the fenders and the inside of the wheel wells, and the spray on the trunk hinge mounts and at the rear of the trunk was just sloppy overspray from moving the gun from one side to the other.
2016-07-20 20.48.31.jpg

2017-02-19 15.38.42.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys... makes sense based on what I've seen. My Polara indeed will be done exactly this way including the clear coat...

This pic just popped up on another thread. @Snotty 's car. No spatter paint. My car (70 300 vert) didn't have the spatter paint either, but I don't have a "before" pic of mine.

img_1479-jpg.jpg

I wonder if it is an option? I would call it a sound deadener more than spatter paint. It is a textural material sprayed onto the inside of the fenders and oversprayed elsewhere. On mine, it is peeling off in big chunks. I wish it wasn't there at all. On my build sheet, there is a "5" in the undercoat/hood pad box under miscellaneous items.

I wonder if it is an option? I would call it a sound deadener more than spatter paint. It is a textural material sprayed onto the inside of the fenders and oversprayed elsewhere. On mine, it is peeling off in big chunks. I wish it wasn't there at all. On my build sheet, there is a "5" in the undercoat/hood pad box under miscellaneous items.
The only thing I could think of is if the car had the trunk "dress up" option, where there is black cardboard over the wheelwells, it might not get painted.

That option wasn't listed on my broadcast sheet though.

The other theory is that some just got skipped. Will's 69 300 didn't have the front black out paint applied to the radiator area, so some these things might be skipped.

Back