trunk key OEM blank

Frank Brooks

Reaction score
I always buy some correct key blanks for my new old cars and got two sets for this Plymouth.

The new ignition key is correct but the new trunk key trunk is not. The keys that work the trunk are about 1/2 inch shorter than what I have (and what works). The keyway is wrong too.

The service manual does not address this, but the Owner's Manual very well might. Which I do not have.

Anybody know what trunk key this car needs?

I know they changed the keys in 67 and the 67-68 key looks a little longer.

I'll bet the lock has been switched to a 67 or they started using the 67 locks before the end of the model year. Any chance your car is a late build?

59-66 keys
pp68.jpg

67-68 keys

pp69.jpg

I always buy some correct key blanks for my new old cars and got two sets for this Plymouth.

The new ignition key is correct but the new trunk key trunk is not. The keys that work the trunk are about 1/2 inch shorter than what I have (and what works). The keyway is wrong too.

The service manual does not address this, but the Owner's Manual very well might. Which I do not have.

If the keyway is wrong means that when you hold the keys next to each other the shape isn't the same... you have the wrong blanks. The person at Home depot or whereever received their 10 minute locksmithing course and now can stick both keys in an automatic grinder and make 50% of them work... looks like you got your 50%. You should be able to eyeball an old key and easily see if its the same or not before the cut for the blank and after the cut for accuracy of clamping it into the machine... I can hardly believe this is so difficult, but they screw up my keys as well.

BTW, with 2 formals and a defective brain... I am thinking about repining my lock cylinders to make both cars work from one set of keys... seems easier than constantly grabbing the wrong set. Many years ago I did this with several used lock sets I had, and it does make life a little easier.

That is such a beautiful car, you suck doesn't cut it.

I only buy keys for the cars from Jessers in Ohio ..

Dave -- two question re: Jesser:

1. How fast/slowly do they turn things around?
2. Is the only thing they need, the key codes?

I don't know. I had him copy my stuff while at Carlisle. He hasn't done Carlisle in maybe 7 years.

Call him and seed what they need.

I'll bring some and a cutter to Carlisle... but I don't plan to lay them out in the open. Just give me a heads up if someone is interested. I'll bring some crappy blanks for tryouts and some oem style blanks for after we know they work smoothly. I'll also have a key gauge to read your code from the old key.

Once again, I don't intend to do this for the general population, but I can be very fair to the membership.

I'll bring some and a cutter to Carlisle (...) I'll bring some crappy blanks for tryouts and some OEM style blanks for after we know they work smoothly. I'll also have a key gauge to read your code from the old key. (...) I don't intend to do this for the general population, but I can be very fair to the membership.

Great -- thanks a lot!

If I can bring all my keys count me in

Ditto if my car is ready in time for Carlisle.

I'll bring some and a cutter to Carlisle... but I don't plan to lay them out in the open. Just give me a heads up if someone is interested. I'll bring some crappy blanks for tryouts and some oem style blanks for after we know they work smoothly. I'll also have a key gauge to read your code from the old key.

Once again, I don't intend to do this for the general population, but I can be very fair to the membership.

I think I'm already on yer list. . . There is beer coin involved. . .

I have some blanks and some bad copies of keys for my '65 Barracuda... Can we work with this?

I have some blanks and some bad copies of keys for my '65 Barracuda... Can we work with this?
A bad copy only produces a bad new key. The machine traces the outine of the key it is duplicating.
I had a key cutter and made copies of just about every manufacturer.

A bad copy only produces a bad new key. The machine traces the outine of the key it is duplicating.
I had a key cutter and made copies of just about every manufacturer.
Exactly... and that is the problem with what I have. Copies of copies of copies.

I'm hoping we can get around that with Jeff's magic...

Exactly... and that is the problem with what I have. Copies of copies of copies.

I'm hoping we can get around that with Jeff's magic...
I picked John's to answer, but this applies to all. I do not have the 59-66 blanks John showed above, they are available on EB, but I never found a good price on them. I have some of the 68-70 keys John showed and plenty of the later Pentastar keys. I have code books, which are useless without a code and I have several key gauges. I have Curtis model 14 and model 15 code cutters.

I DO NOT have a working duplicator, though I have an antique hand crank one I could look for a cutting wheel for... it's not a museum piece and I thought it would be neat to play with. Stan is right as far as duplication is concerned.

The issues with the Curtis cutters is the codes I pull off the old key, if it's that bad, may not work. If you don't have the car for the tryout key, I can send you home with the key and send you a pretty one later... it would avoid killing off my limited resources.

If I thought it would be at all practical, I would go for a locksmith license and buy them in bulk (the later Pentastar key blanks are still in production), but the only way I've found to buy them at a decent price is through a wholesaler that requires a license.

I do have too much of this stuff, so I am willing to help out anyone in the membership who is interested. I have lots of pins too, but I wouldn't bet your functioning lock cylinder on being able to restake the pin cover, If you have an unmatched spare... we could try to pin it to your key of choice.
Buy new tumblers and keys.
There are some on EB that are extremely cheap, repops I'm sure... but it's all good if work and look right.

Back