Trunk mat

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Has anybody managed to replace their trunk mat in an early 70's car? My mat, feels like felt on the back, is shedding black fabric pieces all over the trunk floor. It seems kind of cheesy to me compared to heavier backed rubber mats. I have seen mats for all other Mopars except for the great majority of C bodies. Is there anyone who sells bulk mat in our grey herringbone which one could cut to fit for our trunks using the old as a template?

I just bought one at the swap meet last weekend I forget who the supplier was. It was specifically for my '66 300 so I grabbed it, they had lots of c-body mats. It is in the shop right now I'll check tomorrow.

I also know that Legend carries them because I got a sample from them. Their mat I believe was by the yard and not pre cut.

Here is a supplier of mopar reproduction and NOS parts that I have used for several items in the past, They offer a die cut trunk mat for around $50.00 in the correct looking material.
They offer many of the little hard to find items for mopars for fair prices and decent quality.

http://www.vansauto.com/

Here is a supplier of mopar reproduction and NOS parts that I have used for several items in the past, They offer a die cut trunk mat for around $50.00 in the correct looking material.
They offer many of the little hard to find items for mopars for fair prices and decent quality.

http://www.vansauto.com/

I had run across them but they have nothing for 70-73 Polaras and I am not sure if felt back is correct or just cheaper to be made. See those in Ford places but I know they are incorrect.

I was wrong about where I received the samples. They are from SMS. http://www.smsautofabrics.com/products/trunk-lining.php

They only show a few on-line. There is a simple e-mail form to fill out and they will send you samples. I remember one was a really nice thick mat. They are definitely by the yard.

Here is the sample on their site:

Houndstooth.jpg

Houndstooth.jpg

Last edited:
Dont replace the mat... one way or another you'll get rust on the pan. Get a trunk carpet ( dress up) and be happy you did

not sure if felt back is correct or just cheaper to be made. See those in Ford places but I know they are incorrect.[/QUOTE]
The felt back is not correct if you need show quality OEM. When I head out in the old car it's trunk is usually filled with chairs, easy up, cooler, and misc comfort items for a road trip or daily outing, so the mat kinda takes a beating in my car. So I put cheap, easy to replace ones that look right in.

No, both cars came with the trunk dress up package. Now that I am older and wiser I would never have a mat in the trunk, its a greenhouse for rust. Even with the car in a garage , if you wash it or it gets rained on....anything, your asking for it

Has anybody managed to replace their trunk mat in an early 70's car? My mat, feels like felt on the back, is shedding black fabric pieces all over the trunk floor. It seems kind of cheesy to me compared to heavier backed rubber mats. I have seen mats for all other Mopars except for the great majority of C bodies. Is there anyone who sells bulk mat in our grey herringbone which one could cut to fit for our trunks using the old as a template?

I too have used Legendary. I live near their store and went there and they cut what I needed off a roll. I wanted to ask you a question about your vip spring special polara. I am in the process of having my seats done with the correct factory plaid material and wanted to know what color thread was used to sew the lines in the seats? I am not sure if it is white or grey or even black. Can't tell from the pictures I have. The reason I am asking is because the previous owner changed out the plaid inserts for black cloth and I am correcting that with original material from SMS. Hope you read this and can respond. Thanks

I too have used Legendary. I live near their store and went there and they cut what I needed off a roll. I wanted to ask you a question about your vip spring special polara. I am in the process of having my seats done with the correct factory plaid material and wanted to know what color thread was used to sew the lines in the seats? I am not sure if it is white or grey or even black. Can't tell from the pictures I have. The reason I am asking is because the previous owner changed out the plaid inserts for black cloth and I am correcting that with original material from SMS. Hope you read this and can respond. Thanks

I'll take a look at it tomorrow when I am out changing the carb on the car.

Finally did get my mat from Layson's with 20% off during Christmas. Sent me a large sheet in the right pattern and quite thick. Laid my old on top, cut it out and laid it down in the trunk. Nice and flat with no wrinkles.

Back