Trunk repairs

mwelther

Reaction score
68 Fury with several trunk rust spots --- any thoughts on bypassing the prefab trunk patches and welding them in and going to a sheet metal shop and getting a precisely cut custom cut piece of heavy gauge aluminum that could cover whole area and riveting it into place? Like the rust free properties of aluminum, the light weight....anyone done this?

Bad idea, these are unit bodies and every panel, every joint is part of the strength of the structure. Even all the dimples/ribs are there to keep the panels from buckling.

There is no easy answer here.

Alan

Bad idea, these are unit bodies and every panel, every joint is part of the strength of the structure. Even all the dimples/ribs are there to keep the panels from buckling.

There is no easy answer here.

Alan

the aluminum wont rust but it will corrode, repair it right you will be happier in the end

the aluminum wont rust but it will corrode, repair it right you will be happier in the end

I see your point -- anyone know someone in the DC Metro area that does good yet reasonable sheet metal patch welding -- I have a very tight budget and am mostly interested in getting a good, solid job -- I dont need show quality work -- as this is meant to be a solid, weekly driver....

thanks

Back