Trunk

jmustian

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a clue what this part of the trunk is for?

IMG_20230120_093735201_HDR.jpg

If you look at the wiring harness just below that you will see a connector, that is where it plugged in. This light was an option, not all cars had it.

Alan

I have the trunk light and it comes on when i open the trunk but i cant find any switch. The wire connects at the harness, then comes up and runs into the trunk lid and then comes out at the light. No switch anywhere unless its in the lid itself.

What do you mean by a switch? Inside the car? There is no switch. When the trunk is closed it compresses the "plunger" on the top, and interrupts the flow of juice to the light, thereby shutting the light off when the trunk is closed. Open the trunk, the switch pops up and the light goes on. Pretty simple. Cam Shaft

There are two different trunk lights
If it mounts in the trunk and not on the lid it will use the switch.
If it mounts on the lid it most likely will not use the switch as it has a mercury switch built in.

Mercury Switch, light on lid.
s-l500.jpg

Plunger Switch
s-l1600 (2).jpg

Alan

I have the trunk light and it comes on when i open the trunk but i cant find any switch. The wire connects at the harness, then comes up and runs into the trunk lid and then comes out at the light. No switch anywhere unless its in the lid itself.
Some cars (don't know what you have) will have a Mercury switch built in that makes contact when the trunk is lifted.

While this is a generic mercury switch, it shows the operation better than I can explain it. When it tips, the ball of mercury (which is conductive) rolls down and covers the 2 contacts.

img_6577.jpg

There are two different trunk lights
If it mounts in the trunk and not on the lid it will use the switch.
If it mounts on the lid it most likely will not use the switch as it has a mercury switch built in.

Mercury Switch, light on lid.
View attachment 577334

Plunger Switch
View attachment 577335

Alan
Cool. Thats what i have and works good. Mine is on trunk lid

Back