TRW small power steering pump on a 1966 fury III?

Dutchie

Reaction score
Hi c-body friends!

I'm trying to identify what type of power steering pump my 1966 Fury III has. It's leaking and would like to replace the seals. It's probably leaking from the shaft. When looking around I guess it's a TRW small but hope someone could confirm this before buying stuff :thumbsup:.

Why a TRW small? Well it looks similar to this one: need help getting seal or rebuild kit for TRW power steering pump from 1966 satellite

Rockauto has plenty but not sure which is the correct one in my case. Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks a lot! :thankyou:

IMG_20200928_200234904.jpg

IMG_20200930_152338378.jpg

IMG_20200928_195827113.jpg

There are two can diameters 4 5/8 and 5 1/8.

At least that's what I've found in researching the pump for my '65 Barracuda, and I believe they were the same.

EDIT: Just looked again at the pictures and that's a later style pump. The return line is smaller.

Last edited:
1966 and earlier used this style pump. Note the larger return line farther up on the can.

s-l500.jpg

@Dutchie joow........een van deze moet je hebben , heb hem laatst ook vervangen .
De grote O-ring moet je vervangen ...dan ist waarschijnlijk opgelost.
Duur setje voor een paar ringetjes maarja .........
Power Steering Pump Gasket Set TRW/Thompson big
Power Steering Pump Gasket Set TRW/Thompson small
Those are kits for the '66, but that's not a '66 pump on the car.

I think it's a Federal pump based on the cap style, but the only way to really tell is to look at the back. It's definitely a '67 up version.
trwvsfed.jpg

It looks like the same pump as on my ‘68 Polara. Small can.

I know I have a post out there with more details, but cannot find it now.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replys. I still think it's a TRW because on the photo you can see a large notch similar to the example. But then, how do we know its a TRW big or small? :)!

Thanks for sharing those links @69monaco ! That's very helpful!

Thanks for all the replys. I still think it's a TRW because on the photo you can see a large notch similar to the example. But then, how do we know its a TRW big or small? :)!

Thanks for sharing those links @69monaco ! That's very helpful!
I don't believe there is big and small versions of the later pumps. Best thing is just take a tape measure if you really need to know.

I agree about the price! Things happen . But the link you shared is from a different model(federal) and year(1969 -). Anyway, it works great

Back