TTI Exhaust hitting torsion rods

carrman

Reaction score
Guys, just replaced my dead 451 with a 440. Car has the full TTI exhaust from manifolds back, but now with the increased deck height of the 440, the pipes are up against the torsion rods. How have any of you dealt with this?

2FE63F2D-A8C0-4A9A-BCF6-D1B822464836.jpeg

The simplest method would be to take it to an exhaust shop, they can heat and bend the tubing a little to clear the torsion bar. I wouldn't recommend spacers on the flange as that would simply increase the chances of a leak later. The last method would be for the exhaust shop to cut off the flange, weld in a 3/4 inch of pipe and weld the flange back on.

Krautmaster told me he went with the TTI exhaust as it was supposed to be good for either a 383 or a 440. So, I figured it would just bolt right up.

Krautmaster told me he went with the TTI exhaust as it was supposed to be good for either a 383 or a 440. So, I figured it would just bolt right up.
TTI send out their systems based on model, year, engine, and manifold #s. It is not one size fits all. You can't expect the system to fit on your new application. Maybe contact them with your new info and see if they will send out a partial front exhaust system but I doubt it.

Well actually I DID expect it to work because the guy who put it on said it would. Just about had it with this car.

I had a nice Y pipe made for a '71 Newport with a 383. It needed modification to fit a '71 New Yorker with a 440, just saying. I seem to recall a TTI representative recommending cold bending in these applications, with a come along, or similar device.

TTI send out their systems based on model, year, engine, and manifold #s. It is not one size fits all. You can't expect the system to fit on your new application. Maybe contact them with your new info and see if they will send out a partial front exhaust system but I doubt it.
Same kit regardless of engine. They've never asked me what engine I had, only manifold numbers when applicable.

Same kit regardless of engine. They've never asked me what engine I had, only manifold numbers when applicable.
They certainly asked me but that was 12 + years ago. I just went on their website and this caution from their ordering section:

Ordering the correct Headers and/or Exhaust System for your MoPar application can be a challenge due to the numerous engine/vehicle configurations. Please provide as much vehicle information as possible to insure your order request is suitable for your application.

You can apparently order exhaust pipes separately. TTI does distinguish between B and RB engines.

Year: 1968
Car: '67 A-body SB.
Installed headers.
In 52 years I never made that mistake again.
And I can't wait to install mine in my 67 Dart. I'm sure it won't be as easy as the Polara was, and that didn't go smoothly.

I got a set of headers I cannot use .
Bought them for my 73 Satellite wagon.
Power brakes,manual steering,3 on da tree.
Left header hits the pitman arm/frame,and 3 spd column linkage.
Never again will do headers,a 500.00 mistake that looks good on the shop's wall.

The 451 is a B engine and has a shorter deck than the RB 440 engine and as such the heads will sit higher in the car with the new engine. It doesn't seem much but it brings the B engine pipes further up into the engine bay and slightly further apart from each other, just enough for them to now touch the torsion bars.

Back