Tube Flaring Tools

wihaltom

Reaction score
I recently replaced the old master cylinder in my '66 300. Of course, this resulted in the need for a inverted flare tool. Like a fool, I bought one from Harbor Freight for about $28.
Needless to say, it didn't work at all and broke on about the fourth time I tried it.
I went to Autozone and bought some more brake line and fittings and, while there, I asked about their Loan A Tool program. They loaned me their kit and it worked perfectly.
I was even able to salvage a couple of the bad flares from the HF fiasco.
When I took it back, I told the guy I wished I could buy one like it and he said I could keep the one I had for the price of the deposit, $30, or he would order me a new kit, same price.
I was amazed that this tool kit, brand named OEM, was so reasonably priced.
I asked for the new kit and picked it up the next day.
He said all their tools are available like that. The deposit price is the price of the tool.
I thought it was a good deal, especially if it's a tool you may use a lot, and just wanted to pass it along.
And I did return the POS to Harbor Freight and got my $28 back !!

Yes, I've used the Auto Zone tools too and have been very happy with them.

I went through a very similar fiasco with a cheap tube flare set-up. I think I got through one or two before it broke as well. Returned it and bought a good quality set-up...think I paid $60 for it. Has come in handy so many times it's more then paid for itself.

Some tools you just can't cheap out on.;)

You are so right. This tool made a day/night difference in my tubing job.
I should have known not to trust Harbor Freight on something as important as brake line tools.
Guess I had a senior moment but I feel much better now....

Last edited:
I just spent two days cutting, bending and flaring brake lines on my crewcab project. The flaring tool preformed flawlessly...it's a Gray Industries unit BTW.

One trick I've started to use is to lube up all the components, flaring tool threads, and any points that contact metal, and the steel line as well, as your working the flare. The extra lubrication helps the tool flare the steel lines a lot easier. And don't forget that even before you start to make sure the end has been filed square. And the chamfer the outside edge a little, and clean out the inside edge as well with a steel point. All this will help you get a near perfect flare.

I just spent two days cutting, bending and flaring brake lines on my crewcab project. The flaring tool preformed flawlessly...it's a Gray Industries unit BTW.

One trick I've started to use is to lube up all the components, flaring tool threads, and any points that contact metal, and the steel line as well, as your working the flare. The extra lubrication helps the tool flare the steel lines a lot easier. And don't forget that even before you start to make sure the end has been filed square. And the chamfer the outside edge a little, and clean out the inside edge as well with a steel point. All this will help you get a near perfect flare.

I was an instrument tech for many years and installed miles of tubing so I learned quickly the necessity of proper preparation of the material and equipment. Lubrication is one of the key components to a good outcome. I have seen some people try to flare tubing with hack-sawed tubing ends and then ***** and moan when it fails. Go figure.
Preparation and lubrication is important in so many activities.:icon_wink:

Back