Turn signal issues

FuryDan66

Reaction score
First new to The Forum I just want to say hi. Have a 1966 Plymouth Fury 3 the 383 and I cannot get the turn light signals to work. I replace all bulbs besides the front passenger side. Having a hard time getting that bulb in, looks like I may need to remove the housing but can' figure out what size bolt holds it in place up top. I'e had to feel for it bc I can' see it if anyone knows the socket size that would be great. So, before I removed the bulbs all 4 were in place , but since I was replacing them I decided to just replace all of them. Now none were blown so I can' figure out why on earth they wouldn' be working ? Im not new to cars sort of say and have had plenty just mostly late model (75 up chevy and pontiacs). If anyone could help that would be great.
Dan

First new to The Forum I just want to say hi. Have a 1966 Plymouth Fury 3 the 383 and I cannot get the turn light signals to work. I replace all bulbs besides the front passenger side. Having a hard time getting that bulb in, looks like I may need to remove the housing but can' figure out what size bolt holds it in place up top. I'e had to feel for it bc I can' see it if anyone knows the socket size that would be great. So, before I removed the bulbs all 4 were in place , but since I was replacing them I decided to just replace all of them. Now none were blown so I can' figure out why on earth they wouldn' be working ? Im not new to cars sort of say and have had plenty just mostly late model (75 up chevy and pontiacs). If anyone could help that would be great.
Dan

You should not have to remove the the turn signal housing to remove the bulb. Take the bulb out by pushing in on it and turning it counter clockwise (need to remove the lens to do this). Bulbs sometimes get corroded to the point that they will not move in the housing, try spraying the base of the bulb with some WD-40, that will usually free it up. Once the bulb is removed, scrape off as much of the corrosion on the housing as possible and install a new bulb. Since none of the turn signals work, you may have a bad turn signal flasher, It will usually be on the fuse block, looks like a small round can in case you are not familiar with it. Also remove the fuse for the turn signals and check it for corrosion or blown out condition. Next check the connections in the fuse block for the fuse to be sure power is getting to the fuse with the key in the on position. Use a test light for this. One terminal to the turn signal flasher should have power to it with the key on (This will be the center terminal on three prong flasher units). You can test the flasher by hooking a hot lead to the center terminal of the flasher. Hook a bulb to one of the other terminals on the flasher, one terminal of the bulb to the flasher and the brass base of the bulb to ground. There is a resistance switch inside of the flasher that should cycle the bulb on and off once it warns up. If it does not cycle, the flasher is bad and will need to be replaced. There is a whole host of other things that could be wrong, but try the steps listed above first.

Davae

I got the bulb out but unable to push and rotate the new bulb. I got pretty big hands and very hard to push in and rotate. I cleaned out the inside but it doesn't want to rotate tho. I figure if I remove the housing it might be easier to get it in.

I got the bulb out but unable to push and rotate the new bulb. I got pretty big hands and very hard to push in and rotate. I cleaned out the inside but it doesn't want to rotate tho. I figure if I remove the housing it might be easier to get it in.

WD-40 the inside of the socket. You probably already noticed this, the pins on the base of the bulb are at different heights. Be sure you have the bulb in the right position before attempting to turn it.

Dave

lemmie jump in on this post :)

what P/N# of bulb goes into the front turn signals in the grille? 1034na? 1157na? ?

i had to pliers mine out of the sockets . . . they were totally stuck in the sockets :/

try not to die -

- saylor

lemmie jump in on this post :)

what P/N# of bulb goes into the front turn signals in the grille? 1034na? 1157na? ?

i had to pliers mine out of the sockets . . . they were totally stuck in the sockets :/

try not to die -

- saylor

Either will work, the 1157 produces more brightness due to a heavier filament. Both have the same socket base.

Dave

The 1157 draws more power than the 1034 so you may have to replace the signal flasher to keep the same flash rate. Just as well since 1034 calibrated flashers are hard to find. I'd switch to LED 1157 replacements, never burn out.

Mine was tough to put back in!

If the inside of the socket is rusty or corroded this can prevent the plastic slug at the center of the socket from moving. Spraying with WD-40 will help free it up as well as some other products that are non-conductive lubricants. Must be a non-conductive spray.

Dave

The 1157 draws more power than the 1034 so you may have to replace the signal flasher to keep the same flash rate. Just as well since 1034 calibrated flashers are hard to find. I'd switch to LED 1157 replacements, never burn out.

If you go to the LEDs, you'll probably need an electronic flasher rather than the "thermal" flasher as the LEDs allegedly take less juice to operate. Be sure to check on this, though.

CBODY67

If you go to the LEDs, you'll probably need an electronic flasher rather than the "thermal" flasher as the LEDs allegedly take less juice to operate. Be sure to check on this, though.

CBODY67
Yes, very true.

Back