Turn signal malfunction.

Electrical & Ignition

1. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Member

Hey guys once! Just one question to ask before I get rob by a mechanic.
    My Lucille (67 fury 3) has a tail light problem that I can’t figure out what it is that making it malfunction. The turn signal will only work when I have the hazard lights on and if I pull the lever left or right.. I have a video of it that to better understand what I’m trying to explain the problem.

2. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

The hazard flasher has its own flasher unit. C-bodies of this vintage had two flasher units, one for each system. The one for the turn signals is probably bad, which is why you can get the turn signals to work with the 4 way engaged. A cheap check would be to switch the two flasher units and see if you then have turn signals and no 4 way.

Dave

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Member

I replace one flasher that was under the steering column.. where would the other one be located at?

4. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Most of them were mounted in a bracket on the steering column support structure about 2" above the steering column. You will need to drop the trim cover under the column to access.

Dave

5. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Member

Oh ok I thought it was just one flasher when I looked at the service manual it only showed one

6. Sport Fury 67

Sport Fury 67 Member

Here is a wiring diagram for a 68. Look on the right hand side of the drawing near the middle, you will see the flasher with a red and black wire. It is a $6.00 part at places like Autozone.

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68FuryA.JPG

7. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Member

Even though it’s a 67 it’s the same?

8. Sport Fury 67

Sport Fury 67 Member

Yes, they did not change the colors of the wires and the basic set up between 67 and 68. The wiring for the turn signals is routed down through the steering column to a connector under the dash. By looking at the colors of the wires in the diagram, you can identify this connector then trace the red or the black colored wires to the flasher relay unit which should be near by.

9. detmatt

detmatt Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

Look all the way over to the right under the dash. That’s where they are on my ‘67 Imps even though the FSM says they’re attached to a bracket that’s mounted to the back of the ash tray.

10. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Member

Is this one of them? If so I change that one yesterday

image.jpg

11. Sport Fury 67

Sport Fury 67 Member

That looks like the turn signal flasher relay. Congratulations on fitting under your dash and getting back out. Going back to Dave's suggestion, find the 4 -way hazard relay (it may be rectangular in shape) and put your old relay in and see what happens. You can't hurt anything with this circuit. I had a similar turn signal issue with my 67. My 4-way flashers would take a long time to come and only one side would work, then the other may come on. I replaced my relay with an electrical - mechanical one (cost a bit more) $12, and it solved the problem. FYI - all the bulbs are old time incandescent, no LED replacements

12. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Member

UPDATE: found the other flasher and replace it. Works good. Still
    I replaced both flashers! One behind the ashtray and the one in the picture.. when I turn on the hazards one side only works.. but the turn signal works fine!