Turn single problems

Reaction score
When I use my turn single all the other lights blink as well as I cannot use the turn single with the windshield wipers on they just don't work

You have a SHORT circuit. I suggest your other lights are grounding through the turn signals. BUT, your turn signal switch may also be where the short circuit abides. Do both directions cause this behavior, or only one?

Try disconnecting the turn signal fixtures, one at a time, first. Watch and see if one of THESE is the source of your woes. It probably won't be, BUT, when troubleshooting problems of this sort, one starts by eliminating each branch circuit, checking each component until the Problem is found, and fixed. Disconnect them at the plugs to the bulb fixtures, if possible. If not, then one of these may be considered a suspect.

See what happens, then get back to us here. I enjoy solving these sort of problem, FWTW.

Your wipers are probably a separate issue. Disconnect them altogether, then diddle w your turn signals.

Charging system output at idle? Do your other lights actually blink or just dim with the turn signal flash?

When I use my turn single all the other lights blink as well as I cannot use the turn single with the windshield wipers on they just don't work
Check the grounds at ALL the light housings. It may be more than that, but that does sound like a ground issue and it's the easiest place to start.

A length of wire with alligator clips on the end is the tool you need... One end on a good ground and the other to the housing.

The other suspect would be the turn signal switch, but check the easy stuff first.

Rear taillight housings can have trouble grounding thru rusted screws or fittings. It's worse when they're in the bumper. I had to make ground wires and run them from the taillight housings to common/shared grounds on the trunk floor.

Rear taillight housings can have trouble grounding thru rusted screws or fittings. It's worse when they're in the bumper. I had to make ground wires and run them from the taillight housings to common/shared grounds on the trunk floor.

I ran a bonding jumper all along the underside of rusted old Mathilda which eliminated her grounding issues. 'Twas a bit of solid #10 THHN wire pulled out of some conduit. No trouble with anything electrical after that.

You have a SHORT circuit. I suggest your other lights are grounding through the turn signals. BUT, your turn signal switch may also be where the short circuit abides. Do both directions cause this behavior, or only one?

Try disconnecting the turn signal fixtures, one at a time, first. Watch and see if one of THESE is the source of your woes. It probably won't be, BUT, when troubleshooting problems of this sort, one starts by eliminating each branch circuit, checking each component until the Problem is found, and fixed. Disconnect them at the plugs to the bulb fixtures, if possible. If not, then one of these may be considered a suspect.

See what happens, then get back to us here. I enjoy solving these sort of problem, FWTW.
Sorry it took so long to reply, yes it does it in both directions

Interior lights and rear lights
I have seen cross over, where both sides blink, because of bad grounds.
If your interior lights are blinking, I'd say that there is a short between the taillight wires and the turn signal wires. It may be at the connectors under the left side kick panel. If not, it's a pain, but you may need to pull out the taillight/turn signal/brake light wiring harness. You can remove starting at left side kick panel and work your way back. I had to do this on my 1970 Fury and 1972 Fury. Corrosion, resistance heat, rust, and rubbing create shorts. Best of luck! Ben

Sorry it took so long to reply, yes it does it in both directions

Good to know! This probably eliminates the turn signal/running lights as points of malfunction. See if you can unplug the bulkhead connector for them all the same, then observe the effect. I predict no change. If so, check the flasher, then the switch itself. I suspect the switch, or some buggered wires behind the instrument panel.

Likewise, disconnect the REAR lights at the kick panel, or the Molex connector under the dash. Molex connectors fail when the contacts corrod, or a wire overheats. They can contain a short circuit from previous overheating, leading to 2 or more connectors shorting IN the Molex connector. Check these too.

Last edited:
Back