Turning a hardtop door into a sedan door

ike61

Reaction score
i have a 68 fury 2 door sedan. The drivers door is banged up pretty good. Is it possible to make a hardtop door into a sedan door? Seems the sedan doors are hard to find.

Hi Ike. According to Hollander, it only interchanges with a 67 Fury 2-door sedan, no Dodges or Chryslers. Part number for the 67-68 HT door is different. Maybe a bodyman here knows if the outer skin interchanges.

You would need to cut the window frame off the sedan and weld it to the ht door and use the glass from the sedan. I know that hardtop door panels are a different size than the sedan panels so the door may also be a different length.

I would suspect a 2-dr door skin would be the same, sedan or hardtop, as the inner shell of the door would be the same length and height. I also believe that, upon close inspection, you can see where the sedan's upper frame is tack-welded to the inner structure at the top of the shell, at the belt molding, rearward of the lock button. There might be a similar situation on the front, where the vent window area is similarly tacked onto the door shell. The rear of the vent window assembly/window front run channel should unbolt from the shell, internally, hardtop or sedan. As the door glass would be different, might be necessary to swap out the window regulator, too.

As simple as it might sound at first, there can be quite a bit of work involved in such a conversion.

Depending upon how bad the existing sedan door is "mangled", I would think a good body tech should be able to re-form the metal with hammer/dolly work, plus drilling some "pull holes" to use a slide hammer to coax the bent sheet metal back to where it can be worked and straightened, so a minimum of filler is needed to make it look decent.

Fury series 2-dr sedans would have been the "base model" cars. Cars that were the least expensive to purchase and usually low-option vehicles. Think "municipal fleet", or similar. As such, they were used and discarded when their "life" was used up. Two door hardtops were much more prevalent, I suspect, especially in Fury III variations.

Salvage yards usually have a locator service between themselves. Places like LKQ or Copart might be a source, too. With any regional/national search, "freight charges" might apply.

Good luck,
CBODY67

Ok thanks for the reply’s. I will have to look closely at the hardtop door if I get the parts car. I will also have a buddy of mine give me his opinion on banging out the damage on the original door.

One thought, if the hardtop parts can might be best salvaged or put back on the road by using interchangeable items from your sedan car, that might be an option. One time, at a local salvage yard, a guy showed up with a Plymouth Valiant, wanting some parts to fix it up. Turned out that the parts car in the yard was in better shape! So as I understand it, they swapped cars as the yard's car had been driven in a month prior and was still complete.

And, of course, welcome to the forum!

Just a thought,
CBODY67

One thought, if the hardtop parts can might be best salvaged or put back on the road by using interchangeable items from your sedan car, that might be an option. One time, at a local salvage yard, a guy showed up with a Plymouth Valiant, wanting some parts to fix it up. Turned out that the parts car in the yard was in better shape! So as I understand it, they swapped cars as the yard's car had been driven in a month prior and was still complete.

And, of course, welcome to the forum!

Just a thought,
CBODY67
Yeah I hear you. In this case the sedan is in better shape, plus I think it’s more cool and unique anyways.

Just get in touch with Murray Park or Wildcat Mopars and see if they have the door that you need. As noted above, a 67 door is the same as a 68 door.

Ike61 you have been here for almost 8 years and only have 6 posts, how does that happen?

it might be easiest to put the hardtop skin on the sedan door shell. talk to your body man.

Back