Two years in the making

MrMoparCHP

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Two years ago I started on the heater/AC box and I just now finished it. Initially I was waiting for DMT to make the foam kit, then I was waiting for the heater core to be inspected. In July I sat down to start the assembly and hit yet another delay, the evaporator. I was given a new evaporator by a friend so didn't see it to be an issue. This pieces was poorly made, the two fittings were off the correct place by about 1/2" and didn't protrude through the box enough. So I took the two used ones in to be inspected, after another wait I got the passed pieces back.

The evaporators on the 69 have one of the mounting studs and both of the ones I had were broken so I ground off the back and replaced it with a bolt and JB weld to hold it in, another day delay. Put the evaporator in the case and secure it with the four screws. On to the heater core, glued the seal to it and let it sit over night. While I waited for that I added the foam to the doors on the other half the case and started looking at the linkage for the actuators. From the beginning I had two complete boxes and some spare case pieces. I already knew the linkage on the two I started with were different and I tried both to see which one seamed to work more smoothly, it looked like the design was flawed and they were trying to make it work better, (a 72 unit I have is yet again different).

Needless to say I settled in on a set and cleaned it up. The next day I sit down to get thing assembly together and get the heater core in and put the other half the case on and secure it with all the bolts. Looking like it is ready to put in the car I got my die out and went to clean the stud the hangs the assembly under the dash... crunch, it rips out a chunk of the case!
2015-10-29_002.jpg

Dang! So I grab another case half that I had sitting there and inspect it, looks solid so I first remove the stud (bolt) and run the die over it a few times and put it back in, backed it up with JB Weld. While that set I pulled the cover off the completed assembly and stripped the doors off of it, I wasn't happy with the treads on one of the doors so I found another but the shaft was about 3/32" longer, nothing a little grind wouldn't take care off. Good thing I had some spare foam as the ones from the kit were already used. Once again I assemble the cover and bolt it down just to realize I forgot the stud for the linkage, I managed to fish it in through the resistor hole that was still off.

Good you had a spare case part. Mine is way worse, broken in multiple areas, but I have to repair mine. I'll try fiberglas, should be no problem.

Nice job. I admire your dedication to detail.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on so many aspects of this car.
I didn't have much to work with, initially complete units out off two car, one that sat in a field for 30 years and one that didn't look much better.

http://www.mrmopar.com/1969PolaraCHP/Gallery/131116.htm

Along the way I acquired a few spare housing pieces.

I wish it was as simple as new seals and wipe it down, but this car has not been that easy on anything, much like Julian is going through.

Alan

Looks like you had a good collection to choose from to build one good! Some of your pictures show the broken out studs on the housing, that's the worst part on mine I have to deal with. Currectly, I'm searching for the right hammer head bolts to replace the broken, rusted originals.

Great work you did there! How is the fitment of the DMT stuff? Did he reproduce your originals good? Have you boiled the heater core out somehow? I will try citric acid.

Looks like you had a good collection to choose from to build one good! Some of your pictures show the broken out studs on the housing, that's the worst part on mine I have to deal with. Currectly, I'm searching for the right hammer head bolts to replace the broken, rusted originals.

Great work you did there! How is the fitment of the DMT stuff? Did he reproduce your originals good? Have you boiled the heater core out somehow? I will try citric acid.

DMT did an excellent job on this, I did need to cut a couple when I swapped doors.

I'm not sure what the shops process is, I dropped them off to be tested/inspected and I got them back with a pass/fail noted on them. I took three heater cores in on the first trip and two evaporators on a different trip, one hater core was good as were both evaporators.

What bolts? The funky t-head studs that bolt the assembly to the car?

Alan

DMT did an excellent job on this, I did need to cut a couple when I swapped doors.

I'm not sure what the shops process is, I dropped them off to be tested/inspected and I got them back with a pass/fail noted on them. I took three heater cores in on the first trip and two evaporators on a different trip, one hater core was good as were both evaporators.

What bolts? The funky t-head studs that bolt the assembly to the car?

Alan

Good, good..! I will order this kit as well! Looks great!

Exactly, these t-head studs. Half of them are broken off and some of them ripped the fiber glass apart instead while unbolting them.

Good, good..! I will order this kit as well! Looks great!

Exactly, these t-head studs. Half of them are broken off and some of them ripped the fiber glass apart instead while unbolting them.

I saved a bunch of those studs from one of the scrap covers that had good studs but was crumbling apart elsewhere. There are two different style studs, one that had the t-head that has rivets on each side of the stud and the other has an L bracket the rivets to the side not the flange. I will look for these spares and see what I have, no need now so they are yours.

Alan

I saved a bunch of those studs from one of the scrap covers that had good studs but was crumbling apart elsewhere. There are two different style studs, one that had the t-head that has rivets on each side of the stud and the other has an L bracket the rivets to the side not the flange. I will look for these spares and see what I have, no need now so they are yours.

Alan

Wow, awesome, Thanks Alan!

This is what mine look like:
HVAC Case 21.jpg

HVAC Case 21.jpg

Back