Unable to siphon fuel from tank

65Polara383

Reaction score
I have a 1965 Dodge Polara sedan I am currently restoring. I added gas to the tank about a week ago, and need to remove it to install new fuel lines.
I have a functioning siphon pump but am unable to get fuel out of the tank with it. The fuel filler is behind the license plate holder. The tube from the pump is entering the tank but does not seem to be making contact with the fuel. Does anyone know why the siphon isn't working?

This is my first project car so any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a 1965 Dodge Polara sedan I am currently restoring. I added gas to the tank about a week ago, and need to remove it to install new fuel lines.
I have a functioning siphon pump but am unable to get fuel out of the tank with it. The fuel filler is behind the license plate holder. The tube from the pump is entering the tank but does not seem to be making contact with the fuel. Does anyone know why the siphon isn't working?

This is my first project car so any help is greatly appreciated.
How much fuel do you estimate is in it? You might have to jack up the front of the car to get it towards the back.

You might hook the pump to the fuel line near the engine, before it goes into the fuel pump. That way, no need to do it from the rear, but might put a clear filter on the line before it attaches to the fuel line on the car, for good measure.

There might be a baffle in the tank, to decrease "slosh" and all that might mean (inside the tank).

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Since the filler is at the rear of the car you might try jacking up the rear of the car so the gas goes forward.
When inserting the siphoning tube it should bottom out at the front side of the tank and in the gas.

I drained the tank on my 66 fury by siphoning through the sending unit. I started the flow with a hand vacuum pump. The car was on stands, but level. It worked well for me. FWIW Lindsay

WHY do you wish to remove fuel....?
If there is less than 1/2 a tank especially...
Just disconnect fuel lines and replace..

I had added about 9.5 gallons to the tank. Thanks for letting me know I don't have to remove it to replace the fuel lines.

Use fuel injection rated fuel line hose to replace the sections of rubber hose. Standard rubber fuel line hose doesn’t hold up as well with today’s gasoline in my experience.

Please remember that 9.5 gallons of gas weighs about 58 pounds just in case you have to drop the tank to get the fuel lines off the top of the tank.

Good advice by others on the best way to siphon but the first question IMO should be, does the end of the hose have gas on it when you pull it back out of the tank after trying to siphon?.

I just tried inserting the hose into the tank again. No fuel comes out of the tank, but the hose is covered in fuel when I remove it.
The pump does generate suction as it is supposed to.

Well, there's always the tried and true 'suck on it / spit it out' method. You become 'anointed' in the process.... (insert one liner here)

Before siphoning make sure you have a big enough vessel(s) to safely capture and store the gas. I find it best to siphon a couple gallons at a time and transfer the gas to another car.

And....disconnect battery, don't smoke, and have a fire extinguisher on hand.

If you have an air compressor, put a length of hose in the tank, put a blow gun on your air hose. Put the tip of the gun right at the end of the fuel hose. Blow horizontally across it. It may take a few seconds. The vacuum will pull the fuel out of the tank. Before you know the tank will be empty. Beat the hell out of getting a mouthful.

I learned that trick from my first boss, he ran a body shop. If we junked a car that's what we did.

Manual Hand Syphon Pump Fuel Gas Fluid Transfer 42077000408 | eBay

I have something very similar to this item. It's great for filling up your car or whatever from a 5 gallon can and I see no reason why you couldn't use it to siphon gas out, although the long stiff pipe might not get every drop out. Great to have if you are at the track and don't want to run your car with a lot of gas in it.

Back