Under dash insulation - Hushmat??

1Fury1

Slab Side Slacker
Reaction score
How important is the fibre insulation they put against the firewall and up underneath the dash at the factory? Most of it came out during the course of the resto and I don't really want to put the old stuff back in.

The guy at JB Auto sold me on Hushmat which is a self adhesive thin rubber like matting. I put it on the inside of the firewall around the pedals and the electrical bulkhead etc but I can't see it insulating much noise or heat. He also recommended sticking it on the floor pan along the tranny and driveline tunnel to dampen the sound.

Can anyone offer advice on the best solution?

How important is the fibre insulation they put against the firewall and up underneath the dash at the factory? Most of it came out during the course of the resto and I don't really want to put the old stuff back in.

The guy at JB Auto sold me on Hushmat which is a self adhesive thin rubber like matting. I put it on the inside of the firewall around the pedals and the electrical bulkhead etc but I can't see it insulating much noise or heat. He also recommended sticking it on the floor pan along the tranny and driveline tunnel to dampen the sound.

Can anyone offer advice on the best solution?

I bought a cheaper alternative than the hushmat. It is a great product and easy to use. This is the second car I have used it on. If you are going to change the carpet, laying down the hushmat on the whole floor, every carpet I looked at, came with the fiber insulation too. So I have both. Here is the product I used http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html What ever product you use, buy 50 square feet, that is about perfect to do the whole floor.

Sound deading.sm.jpg

Sound deading.sm.jpg

Back