Under The Vinyl

ridin_low07

Reaction score
Need to pull my vinyl top and do some rust repair. My question is what is underneath the vinyl? Can I leave it off or will the window trims look awkward?

There will likely be rust under the trim bits, so you will want to remove those and do the proper body work in those areas, as needed.

yeah I realized that as well. I was just wondering if I can do the necessary body work, prime, and paint. Leaving the vinyl off for good

There's been a lot of debate on several threads here about removing vinyl permanently and painting the top.

I think it would look good painted two tone (paint the roof whatever color the vinyl was). Some say if you do paint the top you should remove the trim and fill in the mount holes.

If you're going to put the vinyl back on... I would paint the roof anyways, let it cure for 30 days and then put the vinyl back on.

If I were pulling off my top (which I will eventually) I would paint the surface the same as the body color. The vinyl top is the "curse of mopar".

If I were pulling off my top (which I will eventually) I would paint the surface the same as the body color. The vinyl top is the "curse of mopar".

If Mopar would of painted the tops prior to putting on the vinyl probably would of slowed or stopped the rust. Most I've seen were lucky to even have primer on the top.

Yea. What would be the reasoning for not painting the top of the roof? Doesn't seem like any forethought went into that. Easy to paint the entire body at once then apply vinyl.

Yea. What would be the reasoning for not painting the top of the roof? Doesn't seem like any forethought went into that. Easy to paint the entire body at once then apply vinyl.

Money saving production practices...cutting corners and don't use millions of pounds of paint and the cost of labor to spray it. Mopar didn't expect these cars to survive 40-50 years later.

Question? Did Chrysler not waste any material but not painting under vinyl tops like GM did?

When I replace a top during a resto, I fully paint and polish under the top then sign and date before installing a top. I have three cars I did 15 years ago that no rust has ever showed up. Yet I have thrown a few cars awat due to excessive rust due to lax prep at the factory.

can't say I have a lot of vinyl tops off but I have never seen paint under the vinyl

At best, you'll get some overspray half way up the c pillar under the vinyl, and often not even up to the lead filler.
Vinyl tops were a win-win for Chrysler corp...didn't need expensive prep under the top and they charged you more for the honour, because vinyl tops were optional on most car lines for many years and extremely popular.

If you've ever looked at the backside of a vinyl top you'll see why these car roofs rotted.Once moisture seeps past the glued down edges,the backing acts like a sponge and traps moisture between the roof and the outer vinyl covering.The roof begins to rust right under the vinyl roof without noticing it until it's too late.Usually if you apply pressure to the top around the back window you will here crackling and crunching under the top.It was an idea they started using in the early sixties as a way to simulate a convertible top.They actaually hold up very well considering they are subject to many different elements,but you've got to use some sort of vinyl protection if you want them to last.The hidden rust issue is the only downside to a vinyl roof.I've seen them painted a contrasting color with the molding left in place and some just remove the molding and paint it to match the body color.They look good either way.The choice is up to you.

Back