Unusual Windshield Dilemma

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
As many of you on this forum may know that I have a unique windshield wiper cam (1978 NY'er) issue to resolve so I can have operational wipers again. Well I have another unusual windshield issue. On the exterior of the windshield, I have about 10 vertical lines about 1/8" wide. It looks like someone went sledding down the windshield. I've tried cleaning it with windex and it doesn't make a difference. It almost like a scuff mark. I run my finger nail across the lines and can't feel any kind of a ridge at all. I was wondering if there is a product that help remove those lines. Driving during the day isn't too bad but driving at night those lines are real distracting. I called Safelite and they said they can't polish windshields anymore because it compromises the integrity of the glass. Any idea of what I can expect to pay for a new windshield?

They stopped making windshields for 74-78 C's two years ago and the remaining stock is dwindling fast.
If you want a new one, better get it now. About 400 bucks installed.
The big national chain glass shops will probably tell you they can't get one.
Bull-puckey. A local friendly independent can find one for you.

I have one I'm hoarding that's not for sale at any price. It's not a matter of if. It's a matter of when.
I have a friend who has a very nice one with just a fish eye at the edge that is covered up by the molding.
He won't ship it though (let's face it, who wants to pack and ship a W.S.?) but if you can find someone from uShip to pick it up, he'll let it go cheap.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I'm going to my local Safelite this morning to see if they can get a windshield. If not, there's a small independant glass guy that I go to next. I'll let you know about the outcome.

Back