Upgrading my 1973 Imperial Radio and speakers

LeBaron1973

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Advice wanted. Whilst the dash is out of my car I'd like to sort out the audio system.

I have an am/fm/8-track unit and wanted to get it checked/upgraded so that an ipod type device or usb stick can connect to it. The 8-track will be serviced as well.

Am wishing to replace the original speakers and would probably install a CD changer in the trunk with head unit (best location - glove box or ???).

I just want the best sound the radio/8-track and CD player can produce, I have high frequency hearing loss so don't require hi-tech stuff.

What do folks think I should do?

Options

Leave as is.
Service/replace with existing speakers.
Service/replace with new speakers.
Add the CD Changer either with existing or new speakers.

Who is best to sort things out as car is in Menasha WI?

Should I just get the unit serviced and reinstall with the existing speakers?

Anyone? What does it cost to service and upgrade the radio (rough guide) ?

I'm looking to do the same thing with my Imperials sometime this summer. My goal is to upgrade everything including speakers but hide the new components in trunk and controls either in glove box or under front seat. I would like to keep dash stock. CD's are my favorite medium for the cars although I have old 8 track and cassette systems in some of them too.

I would say don't go with cd players stay with usb and 128gb usb drive,

I have these conversions in both my cars. http://garytayman.com/stereo.htm

I have the USB dongle and a jack for my XM radio. If you really wanted to, you could just plug in a portable CD player, like a Walkman or something like that, but you can fill a flash drive with all the music from your CDs instead.

Well worth the money...

Personally, when , 5-speaker C-bodies were new, they had the best frequency response of any car system, period. The 3-speaker front spread the sound across that huge windshield, with the sound being positioned "up there" as if you were in the front row of the "concert hall". "Concert Hall" realism was something many advertised about their stereo/multiplex car systems, back then. Keying on the basic quietness of the car plus the better sound of FM and 8-track tapes.

The side speakers might need to be altered to accept a more common 4" speaker, rather than the factory 3.5" speakers. BUT that could be variable, depending upon the vendor. Always nice to seek to do something better than OEM, but OEM was already pretty good back then, on Chrylser stereos.

The rear deck? NO problem. Just depends upon how many (more than 2) 6x9s you mighgt desire (my '72 Newport Royal 4dr can do FOUR). That trunk area will serve as one massive speaker enclosure, which helps the bass response.

Given all of the issues with mobile radio reception, trending more toward a "dual cone" rather than "co-ax" or "tri-ax" speakers might deliver more enjoyment over the OEM level speakers. Reason is the higher-end frequency response being where the reception static will be accentuated. A good 8-track or USB with a high-content music file (for better frequency response and definition) would sound better though, as long as the tapes were good with minimal "hiss".

You won't need speakers with 100W+ capacity OR huge magnets to get good sound. More watts are needed for those tire-shaking bass notes, but much less is needed once past the 100hz sounds. 15watts/channel is fine.

The front speakers were wired though the Clectron divider box, so the center/third channel is derived that way, as a blending of both the l & r channels. The f/r fader takes the individual channels to the back.

A little more power in the amps. Adding the newer USB ports would be good. CDs can be good, too, but it appears that USB drives are "the future". BUT I also believe the quality of the music they possess can vary with the program used to record/archive them on the USB drives.

Enough room in a C-body trunk, typically, for a Personal Univac computer. Just add some air shocks.

Many decisions. In general, I like what I see at Tayman's place.

CBODY67

Back