Upgrading the Starter Solenoid (1967 Chrysler New Yorker)

440Chrysler

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm in the middle of putting my 1967 Chrysler New Yorker back together. I had bought a new starter solenoid when I first went to rewire the car. I used the original starter, as it still worked, but it didn't whip the engine over like I'd like it to. I upgraded the starter, and now the concern is that I may be overloading the solenoid with amp demand and supply.

Is there an upgraded solenoid that you all would recommend to replace it? Also, have any of you had any issues with a solenoid after upgrading the battery/starter?

I upgraded to a high tourque mini starter and still using a factory style el cheapo Napa starter relay.
You should be fine.
Only when a bad starter has a high amp draw, it will affect the starter relay.
FB_IMG_1617153674554.jpg

The starter solenoid is attached to the starter, and comes with the starter. The starter RELAY is attached to the firewall, and just supplies current to the starter solenoid so that the ignition switch only needs to supply enough current to energize the relay. You shouldn't need to replace the starter relay regardless of what starter you install. The current requirements to energize the solenoid shouldn't change that much between starters.

Back