Upper control arm bushings

Shelbyz08

Reaction score
Got a quick question on control arm bushings, pulling the upper suspension parts on my car to powder coat and install new bushings I ordered regular and offset bushings. And I found a thread earlier I can't seem to re find, what do you guys recommend installing, and what direction. And what Specs should I get this aligned too, caster and camber wise.

make sure you either mask off the bore where the bushing will go so the powder coating does not reduce the size of the bore, or grind it out once you get them back. unless you are going to have the front end lowered/raised significantly then a stock set of bushings should be fine.

I have never used the off set ones but I would assume you would orient them depending on what your front end alignment would need...either more or less camber?

Assuming you are running radial tires:

1-1/2 to 2-1/2 degrees positive caster

1/4 degree positive camber on both sides

1/16" toe in.

toe should be set with the engine running, but most of the electronic alignment rigs don't like that. The vibration throws off the sensors.

Jeff

It can be a real crap shoot to install the offset bushings. In theory, you should have had the alignment checked before taking the car apart to see if you could get it where you wanted it with the stock bushings, and that would also tell you how to clock the offsets if needed. Unless the car has a billion miles on it or has been crashed in the front, I'd just go with the standard bushings for now. If there's a real problem with getting it aligned, then I would install the offsets where needed. If the alignment tech knows his stuff, he can tell you how the bushings should be oriented, or I could too once I know where the adjustment maxes out at. I put offsets in my '72 Fury wagon in order to dial in extra positive caster because I was installing 255/60-15 tires on it, but ended up learning that the C body front suspension just doesn't like a whole lot of caster. I was up around 3-1/2 and it made the steering overly sensitive.

Jeff

OK thanks for the info, I will just install the stock ones, I'm doing the powder coating my self and cleaning it off all the mating surfaces and bores. Stuffs thick

Back