upper rad hose bursting

dustin71

Reaction score
car - 1971 dodge monaco. 383 big block all stock, 2 barrel

So I got the rad resealed, new rad hoses upper and lower, new thermonstat and Rad cap.

Drove the car a few times with new parts and while im driving it , it seems to work perfectly fine as to keeping the car at a good temp.. when i bring it home and let it cool down the upper rad hose ends up popping off about ten minutes after i turn the car off. It only pops off where the thermostat housing attaches to the motor.

I have cranked down the clamp there as tight as it will go. now the housing that holds the thermostat down is the stock housing . it DOES NOT have a lip on it at all.

im lost , I had a friend that said only turn the rad cap one click and yes that worked . but i dont want to drive the car around like this.

the New thermostat is a 195 degree , and the new rad cap is a 16 pound

any ideas let me know cheers :]:sSig_thankyou:

I believe your thermostat is too high by about 30 degrees. Your cap may be too much pressure by a couple, perhaps 14?

I have a 180 which im going to put on once i get my new water neck ordered one lastnight. \This one has a "rib" on it . ill bring rad cap back to crappy tire ! lol..

Back