Upper radiator hose

Castle

Reaction score
071A620E-C1FA-4881-8E95-7FC6BC40D7A5.jpeg
Can anyone explain to me why I can’t find the correct upper radiator hose for my 68’ Newport w/o a/c? The problem stems from the fact that my factory looking radiator has the inlet on the left inboard side of the radiator.... every hose I can find is only for a radiator that is either right inboard (Non a/c models) or right outboard (a/c models). Prior to today, I just figured the previous owner cobbed the upper radiator hose because he was cheap, now I am starting to understand he probably had the same problem....I’m getting very frustrated! Any help and/or info will be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Have you checked the code numbers on the radiator to be sure it is the correct unit for your application? There is also different hoses for standard cooling w/o air and hd cooling w/o air. Try jcwhitney, www.jcwhitney.com part #21660 might be the right one.

Dave

Last edited:
Pretty sure non A/C cars have the upper house connection on the other side of the radiator cap. I had the same issue on my 383 Newport.

Considering that the upper hoses I've gotten for my '67 Newport 393 a/c car look almost exactly like similar E-body hoses, might an E-body non=a/c hose work? Just curious.

CBODY67

The Upper and Lower hoses should be the same as a B Body and you can buy repo hoses with MOPAR ink stamped on them. I have always used B Body hoses on my 68 Big Block cars.

I might mention that Gates has several different "levels" of belts and hoses. Even before the economy line came out in the '80s, the "Green Stripe" was considered to be their premium stuff.

One day at work, in the later '80s, I called a local auto supply chain store for an upper radiator hose. The one I received felt spongier than the old hose that came off of the vehicle, although it was new. I respectfully sent it back and got a Gates hose from another place locally. It came in "as expected" and we installed that one.

CBODY67

Thank you for all the replies, it’s a lot to think about... I will update you all with my progress, as I find answers!

Ok, here is what I found. I checked the number on the radiator in my parts manual for the 68’s... the number indicates it is for either a 68 Belvedere or a 68 Coronet, for their 440 engine. So in looking for hoses at Rockauto, they do have a Dayco hose that looks correct for my application.... so, until I find myself the correct radiator, I am purchasing the Coronet upper hose. Thanks for the help, all!

I must say, I would highly recommended people in this forum find and purchase the parts catalogs for their cars... best $25 I have spent, in a while... it has helped me on many occasions.... and they do have them on cd so you don’t have to buy the expensive giant paperback.

Back