USCT Subframe connectors, torque boxes, spring relocation and minitub parts coming for C-body.

Mike Elenbaas

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not sure if this is common knowledge but thought I would share since I didn't know and have not seen this posted about yet. USCT is in the process of making subframe connectors spring relocators and minitubs for our C-body's! John went on to say they are also working on Gen3 hemi swap parts also and should have part numbers and listing for their C-body specific parts soon.

Hi Michael,

Funny you are asking - I have just completed the frame connectors and torque box designs for the C-Body and am working on the spring relocation right now!

Here is a view of the CAD scan I made of the bottom of a 71 Fury with the frame connector and torque boxes located on the scan. Frame connectors are prototyped and complete as are the torque boxes - they are ready for production, spring relocation in a couple more days.

John Pasemann
eBiFEYhu7_jzatfxZMHn9HFrzquPjGpk7NHhZN-QGx-umnCmS0.gif

cleardot.gif

image.png

The frame connectors for a '71 Fury have got to be one of the stupidest things I've read in a while.

Makes zero sense to connect the rear frame with the rubber isolated front stub frame. Unless they are doing something to eliminate the rubber mounts on the stub, it seems to me that it's not going to do much... and possibly even cause more problems than it's worth.

Torque boxes? Yea, good idea...

I guess I don't get it, what's wrong with the way the stub is connected now? Perhaps these developers should spend this time and energy on creating correct, affordable patch panels for all the rust buckets out there....

well on a rag car it could limit the door jam twist , and the early c's there are no rubber iso's . and as said above this sub frame is adjustable . once its welded to the rear section , that adjustment is lost . not sure what the corner boxes are going to do if you relocate the springs into the frame line . i'd like to see some twist tests to see just what effect these mods make .

well on a rag car it could limit the door jam twist , and the early c's there are no rubber iso's .

That is true that the early cars, there is no rubber mounts. Fuselage convertibles don't use a rubber mount stub either. Same for wagons. One of the issues with the connector as shown in the CAD drawing is that it is made for the rubber isolated stub and would come up short for the non rubber Fuselage stubs as they do not have the frame section behind the T-bars.

Earlier cars would obviously need a different connector. And then there's the wheelbase differences to deal with across the board. This isn't as simple as a B body where one size fits all.

I'm really hoping that this was just a bad example.

not sure what the corner boxes are going to do if you relocate the springs into the frame line . i'd like to see some twist tests to see just what effect these mods make .

I just happened to watch an Uncle Tony video on torque boxes. As you might know, these were used in Hemi cars and convertibles. I think it's explained very well here.

well the more tie points the better , i agree . i've added torq boxes to many a's , b's and all my c's are rags so there already in . i wonder if my 64 300 k has anything corner boxes ? its my only roofed version of the c bodies , thats not really a c' body as i understand them , its a different design entirely .

well on a rag car it could limit the door jam twist , and the early c's there are no rubber iso's . and as said above this sub frame is adjustable . once its welded to the rear section , that adjustment is lost . not sure what the corner boxes are going to do if you relocate the springs into the frame line . i'd like to see some twist tests to see just what effect these mods make .
I understand the sub frame/stub frame is removable. How would it be adjusted? Thanks

there is just a little movement on all bolt through mounts . even with out slotted holes . and a wee bit back on the mounts is a bunch on the nose end . don't think the factory hit the mark without adjusting it in . we as bodymen would and have pushed n pulled them into alinement . every sub framing vehicle can be adjusted , which in the uni-body world is all .

there is just a little movement on all bolt through mounts . even with out slotted holes . and a wee bit back on the mounts is a bunch on the nose end . don't think the factory hit the mark without adjusting it in . we as bodymen would and have pushed n pulled them into alinement . every sub framing vehicle can be adjusted , which in the uni-body world is all .
Thanks, I guess I'll find out how well I did when I go to line up my fenders and hood next week, lol.

have the core support in place than start with the hood fitting the cowl that an important line or gap . then fenders at the doors to fit along the hood , i've had easy ones and ones i had to bar in and sim into place . but start with the hood .

Keep in mind that A-B-E cars are full unibody, C-bodies are a hybrid due to teh removable subframe.

I wonder if USCT is aware of how many variations there would be to cover all the cars from 1965-1973. Even amongst the same year there would be differences between C&D vs P, whether a convertible, variations in the early Fusey years, probably more.

have the core support in place than start with the hood fitting the cowl that an important line or gap . then fenders at the doors to fit along the hood , i've had easy ones and ones i had to bar in and sim into place . but start with the hood .
Bookmark. Many thanks!

fury fan , just like camero and firebirds and many other american cars , and front wheel drive cars use a front sub frame as well .
Oh -
What I meant was, the A-B-E cars won't have adjustability of the subframe like a C-body because the front frame rails, fenderwells, and core support are all welded together. Only adjustability is via the bolt-on sheetmetal.

Depends on which way, and how far you want to go. Nothing wrong with trying to bring new products to market.
I would be interested in 3rd gen Hemi mounts and such. I am going to explore putting a 5.7 with appropriate automatic in a Formal Chrysler, or a '81-'83 Imperial. Looking for a car to use to make fair weather/summertime trips instead of wife's now 200k Jeep GC.

Back