USS Chrysler Need Direction..1971 Newport rejuvination,Patina'd Desert Ride

A man of character I see!!! I feel it is good for my children, as "lilly white". as they are to be raised in s. phx. They don't see it, but I hope it will give them the "perspective" to be successful in the new world. I think I can beat you in the :scar: dept! lest we stayon the Chryslers.lol
And I waz a seasoned East L.A. war veteran at the ripe old age of 14. A mile south of San Diego iz where we went to hone our skillz. You and I can show each other our scarz someday and trade storiez

Touche Sir. I have Jared these old memory banks into areas that should have remained in the long since forgotten past. Welcome to FBCO USS Chrysler and I'll take care of ALL the Hail Mary's, Jer

I have to admit that I cringed when I saw that four letter "f-word" (Flip) in your post. I can understand though, if someone changes their mind and decides to sell their car and try to get more for it because they decided they want some other car. Just, whatever you do, don't sell it to a derby guy...please!

If you take a really close look at your vinyl top, you should be able to at least get some idea of what the roof is like under it. See if you can see any blistering. Run your hand over it and see if you can feel any blistering, bumps, under the vinyl. Maybe tap on it with your knuckles and see if it sounds solid. My top is shrinking and lifting near the back window, but the metal appears to be pretty solid, with the exception of one small hole. There are two small lumps in a couple of other places, but the only area that does have me worried is the passenger side "A"-Pillar, which is pretty bad.

In my case, I have several options because I'm not going for 100% original. First of all, I will have to strip the whole top off to see what needs to be done and fix it. Although, I'm pretty sure most of it will be okay.
Anyway, I'll fix the rust, sand and treat the metal, prime it (epoxy) and paint it. After that, I will;

- Choose to paint the roof the same color as the body.
- Paint the roof either Dark Green, Black or White (not likely) with a matt finish.
- Install a new Vinyl Top over the newly painted roof (keeping the car indoors and trying to avoid driving in the rain, if possible).
- Do a custom paint scheme on the roof, some type of lace paint in appropriate colors would appeal to me, especially with some pinstriping on the hood and trunk lid. Now I've probably made some "purists" cringe. :laughing7:

I wish you luck with it.

028.jpg029.jpg032.jpg
No "blistering" per say, but when I run my hand over it - Yep, it feels "ROUGH", and it looks to be rust free! I'm tell'nya It has sat in a garage, the carport for 30 years!! Most would have been trashed by now, from rust issues associated with a roof of this "CALIBER" ??? I so want to clear, seal coat it to, "preserve" her story and how she tells it! Also A New vinyl roof and patin'd paint, GARBAGE! a new roof would mean new paint, I am leaning towards restoring everything, BUT, the exterior, Buff the original paint , as best as scientifically possible, seal the roof, and go to work,

028.jpg

029.jpg

032.jpg

View attachment 57928View attachment 57929View attachment 57930
No "blistering" per say, but when I run my hand over it - Yep, it feels "ROUGH", and it looks to be rust free! I'm tell'nya It has sat in a garage, the carport for 30 years!! Most would have been trashed by now, from rust issues associated with a roof of this "CALIBER" ??? I so want to clear, seal coat it to, "preserve" her story and how she tells it! Also A New vinyl roof and patin'd paint, GARBAGE! a new roof would mean new paint, I am leaning towards restoring everything, BUT, the exterior, Buff the original paint , as best as scientifically possible, seal the roof, and go to work,
seal the roof ?

Or try and provide some sort of a barrier, if it does rain, If I am only going to drive on sunny days, I may as well take it off!

It seems to me that it says GY5 one too many times to be a vinyl top car and there's no vinyl top code called out.

Fender Tag has no "V1W" for a white v-roof. It might have been added later. The material shown in the picture doesn't look familiar to me. Looking at the first page you do have a Broadcastsheet. There is a spot on the right upper corner which should say the code "v1W". I you can post a pic of it.

Carsten

I was thinking the same thing Carsten, that top doesn't look factory and the tag says painted roof.

Back