V Belt Removal Problems

frog_dude

Reaction score
I am starting to work on a old 1954 Chrysler Windsor that's been sitting around. I'm having problems removing the V-Belt. It's about 1/8" too small between the bolt in the picture and harmonic balancer. How can I get this V-Belt off?

P1000827.jpg

I know..... I was just joking. I'm not very familiar with that car, I would assume that bracket with bolt may be some sort of motor mount. i would try (with a large pry bar) to lift the motor some, to get room to remove/install the belt.:dontknow:

I can't make out the problem from your picture. Is the tensioner loosened as far as it will go? Try a pry bar as mentioned above...there is no reason why the belt shouldn't come off.

Here is a picture from another angle. Hard to see but. The belt is loose but there isn't enough space under the dampener to remove it.

P1000835.jpg

I haven't a clue what I'm looking at either so let's go back to basics.
First of all, can we assume it's a Hemi with the generator on top of the left bank and an idler pulley and without A/C or PS.
Secondly, are you talking about the generator belt or the fan belt.

rvd2dz.jpg

Last edited:
It's a inline six with only one belt going around the generator and fan.

Give the engine a crank. The balancer has a flat spot on one side. That should help.... but I'll bet the real problem is the "floating power" motor mount has deteriorated and is making the engine sit too low. You could also jack the engine slightly, but if the mount is toast, it's cheap to replace.

BTW, I have a '53 Windsor!

Give the engine a crank. The balancer has a flat spot on one side. That should help.... but I'll bet the real problem is the "floating power" motor mount has deteriorated and is making the engine sit too low. You could also jack the engine slightly, but if the mount is toast, it's cheap to replace.

BTW, I have a '53 Windsor!
I looked today and didn't see the flat spot but I assume it's the motor mounts. I changed all the hoses yesterday and they were just tearing apart. Where is a safe spot to lift the engine up from?

See if there is spot on the block possibly near the trans where you can get to the cast iron and not push on the oil pan or get a piece of 2 x 4" and put it between the floor jack and the oil pan. You probably just need an inch or two of lift. If you have a cherry picker you can go that route.

I looked today and didn't see the flat spot but I assume it's the motor mounts. I changed all the hoses yesterday and they were just tearing apart. Where is a safe spot to lift the engine up from?

You'll have to put some wood under the oil pan and lift slightly.

Change the mount while you're at it..... You have to take the belt off to do it anyway. Roberts or Andy Bernbaum should have the mount in stock.

Back