Valve cover gaskets any good?

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was going through my parts inventory for valve cover gaskets, found plenty. I have this package of red rubber gaskets. I have had them many years and I think there is a reason I haven't used them. Are these valve cover gaskets any good? Any of you old guys remember? I can't?
I found a set of the hard fiber rubber coated gaskets from FelPro/ Mopar that I used. Letting them cure last few days before starting engine. I tried the Moroso blue valve cover gaskets and they failed immediately. I will try the blue ones on a set of aluminum heads with cast aluminum vintage Cal covers, see how they do.

IMG_2605.jpeg

IMG_2604.jpeg

I got their Thermostat housing gasket two years ago and it ended a major headache on my Imp. I wish they had a Silicone gasket for my '68 ,318 Timing cover on my A-100 .

Bringing this up again. Because I have to replace the valve cover gaskets on Tux.
With tin covers and iron heads.
Moroso blue failed on start up. Might be good with aluminum heads and valve covers.
Factory red silicone slipping out of place on install, didn't use. Might try again. Try without FormAgasket.
Felpro hard black composite, maybe sawdust and glue. On now and leaking pretty good on right rear corner, as usual.
Stock/Felpro cork, have not tried in decades. Might be the one with simple FormAgasket.
On the black fibre gaskets I used FormAgasket to the valve cover, let it sit over night with weight to cure.
Now I see that there are two black fibre gaskets from Felpro. CHRYSLER 7.2L/440 Mopar big block RB Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets - Rubber coated fiber Gasket Material - Free Shipping on Orders Over $109 at Summit Racing
Also a Marine rubber gasket. CHRYSLER Fel-Pro 17941 Fel-Pro Marine Valve Cover Gaskets | Summit Racing

What say you 440 owners?

I've used the felpro vs50145r with good results. Only downside is they don't have the locating tabs the old cork style have so if your valve covers don't have studs it's a bit more tricky.

I've had good luck with cork, once it's been throughly coated two or three times with high tack spray gasket. Some brushed on contact cement around the outside edges of the head and cover and around the bolt holes for extra insurance. Lightly hand snug bolts for an hour or two. Tighten a bit more, warm engine, tighten a bit more. Let cool, repeat. Always keeping in mind not to fully compress the cork. Drive it normally for a week or so keeping an eye on them. I realize it's a bit tedious, but it has worked for me.

Back