Video of swapping steering gear box for 68 Newport

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
Anyone have a video link of changing steering gear box in a 68 Newport? I've searched for a while and can only find other years or models. I'm an amateur but want to see about changing it myself. But could use all the help I can get.

Also, I have a fitech fuel injection and ice had my car at multiple shops for literally 3 years and no one can tell me why if I mash my gas it wants to stall but if I ease in its fine. I've tried the timing, I just put a beer fuel pump in, it does have the efi fuel pump. obviously it gets gas. But I'm losing my mind trying to find someone who can find the issue. I just lose money constantly with people not figuring it out. They check vacuum, check timing, check a few basic other things but God forbid anyone finds the actual issue. I have not been able to enjoy this car ever. I fix one thing and break another but one things stays, I can't figure out this wot issue.

Go to YouTube and search for "Change Mopar steering box" and there's several videos that will pop up. They won't be for a '68 Newport.... They'll be for B-bodies or something like that. They all are pretty much the same procedure regardless of body style.

That said, I've done the swap and it's pretty straight forward as long as you're putting a Chrysler box in and not trying to put a Borgeson or similar replacement in. The biggest issue is manhandling the old out and the new in. Doing that laying on your back isn't the easiest (I have a lift) but it can be done.

Regarding the EFI... That's the type of upgrade that a normal repair shop isn't going to be able to help you with. Why don't you call FITech and see if they have suggestions and ask them to recommend a shop that does installs that could troubleshoot your issue.

In Richmond there are Tuner shops that might be able to help with problems like your EFI. I'd try a race performance tuner shop if FITech is no help.

Also, I have a fitech fuel injection and ice had my car at multiple shops for literally 3 years and no one can tell me why if I mash my gas it wants to stall but if I ease in its fine. I've tried the timing, I just put a beer fuel pump in, it does have the efi fuel pump. obviously it gets gas. But I'm losing my mind trying to find someone who can find the issue. I just lose money constantly with people not figuring it out. They check vacuum, check timing, check a few basic other things but God forbid anyone finds the actual issue. I have not been able to enjoy this car ever. I fix one thing and break another but one things stays, I can't figure out this wot issue.
You may be able to find some help here with the tuning issue.
FiTech EFI Tuning Forum

Back