vintage air

66furywagon

Reaction score
anybody running vintage air on there cbodys
pics what all did u do to make it work
bigger alternator.?
thanks

Back when the cars were new, or were "used cars", adding add-on a/c usually included upgrades in two areas, sometimes. One was the alternator (or instructions for increasing the idle speed a bit) and the radiator (making sure it was clean inside and such. Usually, Vintage Air and others have some sort of check list of things to upgrade or make sure they are working correctly so that their systems will work as designed. Might check on their installation instructions, which might be in their website?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Most of the factory A/C cars for '66 had a 46 amp alternator with a dual groove pulley. The was also a 59 amp dual groove alternator for police/taxi equipped cars with A/C. Both the 46amp and 59amp alternators were also available in a single grove pulley configuration for non A/C cars. For most applications, if all you are adding is A/C, the 46 amp unit should suffice.

Dave

In 2013 when I got the La Chrysler in my shop,it had the knee knocker dealer installed AC unit.
Still had the factory 34? 36? amp alternator and no fan shroud,factory fan and 22 inch non-air radiator,
At that time the car had 252,000 miles on it and based on the owner's recollection it did not overheat nor had any charging issues.
Obviously,the ac had not been working for years.
1966 300 revival 082.JPG
1966 300 revival 076.JPG
1966 300 revival 054.JPG

Back in 2007 I installed a complete underdash VA setup on a 1963 Buick Riviera. The car came with factory air so I was able to reuse the dash vents and compressor brackets. It was a surprisingly easy install and worked very well. If you are converting a car without factory air you will probably need to upgrade the cooling system to factory A/C specs including a bigger radiator, clutch fan and shroud. You will also have to decide where to put the controls and dash vents, they do offer quite a few options. They also offer the "knee knocker" underdash units as mentioned above. One thing to remember, these type of add-on systems do not use any type of outside air supply, they are recirculate only, so try to keep your outside air vents in working condition. First thing to do is get the latest VA catalog.

Back