vintage electronic ignition conversion question

darth_linux

Reaction score
Hi! Back in the late '80s I had a '66 Newport that had some sort of electronic ignition conversion on it. I don't have any pictures or anything, but inside the distributor there was a plastic circular basket (for lack of a better term) where the points would be, that had 8 "windows" in it that would trigger the ignition as it rotated. I am only curious about this because I broke one of the windows off when I was attempting to fix god knows what, and I had to replace the whole distributor with an aftermarket OEM style points distro because whatever I broke was no longer available. I was 19 and had no idea what I was doing . . .

Do any of our "old-timers" have any idea what type of electronic ignition conversion setup this might have been?

thanks in advance!
Dave

Agree, the Mallory UniLite was the first aftermarket electronic ign system to use an LED and a shutter wheel to perform the same functions as the points did. Ground-breaking and simple at the time, back when "Mallory" was still its original self. Seems like one of the current aftermarket kits has a similar system?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Sounds like the Hall Effect ignition in my 1990 W150 Dodge truck. Pointless and Unreliable because of poor quality aftermarket sensors

Nothing like pulling the distributor every 6-9 months to replace the Hall Effect sensor!:BangHead:
IMG_20200729_095735 pickup.jpg

IMG_20200729_102114.jpg

IMG_20200729_103257 new pickup installed.jpg

Back