Vintage NASCAR

Hamilton leads Pearson

Pete Hamilton in his Petty Superbird leads David Pearson in his Talledega Torino

image.jpg

Take a look at the title Scenes to the Elvis movie "Speedway" with the intro of then active Nascar racers with cameos starting at 1:10

Last edited by a moderator:
108442355.jpg

Tiny Lund also had a few years with Chrysler products while mostly associated with Ford I guess.
Think in the Speedway Scene he was racing a Plymouth for the Petty stable.

And speaking of Lund, a Little side note to the pretty unknown failed Trial to establish a NASCAR like racing series in Europe in 1970 with a few guest Drivers from the US, including Lund on an Opel !

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/115918-european-version-of-nascar/

108442355.jpg

Here's a cool pic

Richard getting in rookie Dale Earnhardts car to give it a shakedown. Legandary Crew cheif "Suitecase Jake Elder with him

image.jpg

You're in a heap of trouble

Bobby Issacs in this famous Dodge TV commercial. I always thought they got the idea of Sherrif Bufford T Justic in the smokey & the Bandit movies from the Sherrif in these old Dodge commercials

image.jpg

What kinda cars are these?

Hum...Camry, fusion, SS. What ever an SS is. They all look the same I sure can't tell. Must all be those rare 2 door V8 rear wheel drive Camrys

image.jpg

Rare Daytona pic

I believe this is the only race this car was painted red & white. Bobby Allison driving Mario Rossi's Daytona at Riverside

image.jpg

just looking at the pic of all three together i am sorta surprised, but it looks like the Torino has the shortest hood. i have always been under the impression that in those days ford had the longest hood in all classes. of course these are race cars and smokey Yunick taught everyone not to believe their lying eyes.

I'm going to say since I have owned all 3 versions that the charger has the longer front & probably hood. It was s big old thing. I wish I had not sold it 72 Ralley 400 auto in floor. What on Earth was I thinking

Rwc; smokey Yunick taught everyone not to believe their lying eyes.[/QUOTE said:
This is SOOOO true. Take a good look at the 66 #43 Plymouth. There is not one original factory body panel on that car that has not been reshaped or modified.
I saw this car during it's restoration as a "body in white" and it was amazing to see how it had been built. The body was "channeled" over the unibody frame rails and then sectioned. Even the floor pans had been reshaped for aerodynamics.

attachment.php

In my years at Roush racing I overheard Jack say, "guys ..... It's the best cheater who wins", on a few occasions.
The innovation of these guys is amazing and the "cheaters" table at the NASCAR tech inspection at the track was always interesting to visit.

Hershal McGriff

All the way from the Pacific north coast Hershal came east from time to time. Here he is in 1974 in the 04 Petty car

image.jpg

Need a push

Richard Petty pushing Cale Yarborough's car. The story I got is Cale was doing a plug check & was coasting back to his Garrage stall & didn't quite make so Richard helped out

image.jpg

Richard & David

These two guys had some fierce battles over the years. Most people though they didn't get along. Myself included, but actually they did quite good. Pearson even brought his Mercury to one of Pettys open house events. It was displayed right beside Richards Charger & the two of them signed autographs.

image.jpg

Back