Vintage NASCAR

Pettys Magnum

Leads Darrell Waltrips Monte & David Pearsons T bird

image.jpg

Pocono 1975

Petty, Pearson & what appears to be Dick Brooks. Looks like Petty used Brooks as a pic & Pearson giving Brooks a little nudge to show his displeasure

image.jpg

Plymouths last win

Dick Brooks was hired to drive this beautifull #22 Plymouth for the fall race at Talledega in 1973. And go's down in the history books as his only win & the very last for Plymouth. Most teams had made the switch to the Charger. Dick Brooks is the guy who drove the smallblock 305 inch Daytona in 1971. So he get that honor too of driving the last wing car & the only smallblock powered one.

image.jpg

Darlington 1970

Far side of car. Pete Hamilton & Richard Petty. Buddy Baker in car. Cale Yarborough standing by Buddy. At rear of car is Fred Lorenen & Bobby Issacs. 4 of these guys are NASCAR champions. Which ones. Anybody.

image.jpg

Issacs leads to restart

1971. Back in those days the lap down cars had to start on the inside. Most of them would lay back to give the leaders room unless they though they had enough car to challenge & get back on the lead lap. I'm personally glad they don't do this anymore cause this caused issues

image.jpg

Dick Brooks was hired to drive this beautifull #22 Plymouth for the fall race at Talledega in 1973. And go's down in the history books as his only win & the very last for Plymouth. Most teams had made the switch to the Charger. Dick Brooks is the guy who drove the smallblock 305 inch Daytona in 1971. So he get that honor too of driving the last wing car & the only smallblock powered one.

I was reading about the #22 car on another website, the thread included a newspaper article from "back in the day". I think the owner was an airline pilot named Crawford who would hang out with Grumpy Jenkins in the 60's and learned a bunch of "go fast" tricks from him (Grumpy.) Mr. Crawford came up with an unusual intake manifold that either made a lot more HP or did a great job of hiding a Nitrous system!!

Hum. The story I got was it was too brothers that owned the car. 1 was to drive & NASCAR felt he was way too inexperienced & would let him. So they hired Brooks. Not sure what the brothers did for a living. Or what became of them.

This was the same race that Hot Shot rookie Larry Smith was killed in. And Bobby Issacs suddenly pulled into the pits & got out of his car saying he heard voices telling him to do so. I was watching it on TV. I was a fan of Smith. That guy was fearless. And he paid the ultimate price.

This looks to be Riverside , California road course. #12 Bobby Allison Dodge Charger. #43 Richard Petty Road Runner. Ray Elder #96 Dodge Charger

image.jpg

Aero wars part 1

Early in the 69 season Dodge ran the Charger 500. Ford had the drooped nose Talledega Torino. Petty went with Ford that year because Chrysler would not let him run a 500 which was aerodynamically superior to his Plymouth. Ford won part 1 as the Torino was a bit better. Here Issacs in a 500 is chasing Pettys Talledega Torino

image.jpg

Aero wars part 2

Later in the 69 season Dodge debuted the Charger Daytona. Here Issacs Daytona beside James Hyltons Talledega Torino. Dodge won round 2

image.jpg

Dave Marcus

In the #2 Charger. James Hylton in the 48 Luguna. And I think that's AJ Foyt in the 50 car. Not his normal # but Purolator sponsorship

image.jpg

Back