Vinyl roof on 1978 Salon... need picture of grain

73 T&C

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
need to check grain on the 1978 Salon vinyl roof before I screw it up.

Is it elk grain or the pebble grain like the regular NYB’s?

Thanks!

Pebble and maroon:poke:

Elk is what I have on my '67 Imperial. I think they used the elk on the thick padded roofs. But I've been known to be wrong.. A LOT:lol:

need to check grain on the 1978 Salon vinyl roof before I screw it up.

Is it elk grain or the pebble grain like the regular NYB’s?

Thanks!

20190121_203455.jpg

Jav, is the code for the Salon option A71?

Then it would be Elk grain....

20190121_204621.jpg

What's on it now? Or was it changed at some point?
I never noticed if you're car has the formal rear window, I thought it was a regular one like the regular NYB's.
Sorry I almost screwed you up.
Thanks for the post Bob.

Jav, you probably posted your fender tag before....

Would you mind posting it again on this thread.

Thanks!

Bob,

Mine is not a Salon, but I like the look and it was what I was originally looking for when I started.

I have the rear window plug and interior trim.

The top on it now is badly blemished and is beginning to fracture.

As requested, here is the fender tag.

87909A34-7297-4938-9AF5-0D14F6CA4D3A.jpeg

Bob,

Mine is not a Salon, but I like the look and it was what I was originally looking for when I started.

I have the rear window plug and interior trim.

The top on it now is badly blemished and is beginning to fracture.

As requested, here is the fender tag.

View attachment 249382

That's cool.

My previous post lists all the options needed to do a full blown Salon.

Jav, I would repair and paint the roof after you get the old vinyl top off. Let it cure for 30 days before putting the new vinyl on. That's what I did with my NYB. I won't have to mess with it again in my lifetime.

A one of one 78 Salon clone....
I can think of only a few people nuts enough to do such a silly thing.
And most of them live in Florida.
Think about it....

Was the A71 Salon option only available for 1978?

I just don't remember....

It will confuse the experts....especially those that can read a fender tag. LOL!

The rear window plug and window I bought come with the defrost. So check as to that.

No leather wrapped steering wheel.... which is fine by me. Though I could wrap the wheel I took off with leather.

Interior the same otherwise.

Top... just reordered it in correct elk grain.

Wheels are something I never cared for on the Salon. Too busy for my taste and all fake with basicly a bolt on hubcap. I’m not a purist but I do have something in mind to up the ante.

Crystal silver paint with clear coat. Thinking about it..... paint on it now is so damned thin and it has a repaint on the driver rear quarter and the trunk that look really bad. I guess they saved a lot of weight by shooting the original paint so thin.

One thing at a time.

Heads for good measure first, then paint (maybe) then top.

Last edited:
I lot of Late Chargers and R-bodies had leather wrapped steering wheels if you can find one getting parted out.

Mine is not a Salon, but I like the look

No wonder I was confused:poke:

You want to make a salon..... got it.

Did an original Salon have the thick padded vinyl roof? Or was it more like the '73 Imperials? Old Red has the formal window, but no padding (except around the window) with the pebble grain.

My '67 LeBaron has a full padded roof, with the "carriage window"/ formal window. With the elk pattern.

No wonder I was confused:poke:

You want to make a salon..... got it.

Did an original Salon have the thick padded vinyl roof? Or was it more like the '73 Imperials? Old Red has the formal window, but no padding (except around the window) with the pebble grain.

My '67 LeBaron has a full padded roof, with the "carriage window"/ formal window. With the elk pattern.

Patrick66 had one. It was a very late build too. He would know for sure if it's a padded roof.

@patrick66

Back