Vinyl seats

FuryDan66

Reaction score
So my interior is all original and is starting to become a little more faded over the yrs. I've seen these black to back products and was wondering has anyone ever used a rub on black product to bring them back to life a little but more? Two products I've found is Doc Baileys back to black and the other Run N Restore.
Dan

20180811_090842.jpg

So my interior is all original and is starting to become a little more faded over the yrs. I've seen these black to back products and was wondering has anyone ever used a rub on black product to bring them back to life a little but more? Two products I've found is Doc Baileys back to black and the other Run N Restore.
Dan

View attachment 209737
Interested in the answer, with a twist. The benches on my '70 Polara look almost new (and are really "supple", as Dave himself has said), except for the headrests -- one has a crack, and both are somewhat dull and faded. Presentable, but could look better IMO. Since I would prefer to keep the car original (even with the crack), I am keen for suggestions.

PS: Not interested in "Armor All" look, just back to OEM.

Yeah no armor I just want something that I can put on it in the way we'll kind of maybe possibly read I the vinyl but not make it all greasy and rub off on you.

There's always been interior vinyl dye for seats and carpets. Not sure of durability or gloss.

Maybe something like "Lexol for vinyl"? Where the evaporated "oils" are replenished, that would soak into the upper vinyl coatings rather than just residing on the surface?

CBODY67

@stubs300 -- do you (or anyone you know) have experience with those two companies, Dr. Vinyl and Fibrenew ? The front seats on my Monaco had a couple of splits when I got the car, but the driver's have gotten worse since then. The rears are close to perfect.

Here are the front seats back in September 2018, in a photo posted by the seller. The photo shows that there is no issue with the base of the driver's seat, and no issue with the back of the passenger seat. The rips are on the base of the passenger side (one large, one small, both at the seams in the middle) and on the back of the driver's seat (two, one at the bottom of the seat back and the other about 1/4 up from the bottom):

seats front 13444.jpg

Here is how they were back in February, when I bought the car (photo courtesy @'69FuryIIIConvertible):

71 Monaco coupe white interior.png

Here is the driver's seat in April, the base is still pretty much the same (no rips) as in February but the rips in the back seat have widened and foam has started to spill out:

IMG_1656.JPG

As for now, the seat loo is how the seat is now, I thought I had a photo but I do not. In a nutshell, the bottom seems unchanged but the vinyl strip that broke on two sides 1/4 from the bottom is now permanently folded over, and foam is spilling out from there.

I could have the seats fully redone, but I was hoping to not have to swallow a large bill.

Last edited:
@stubs300: Thank you for the reply to my question about vinyl seats. I have edited the description of my problem and added some pictures. I'd love your comments about what to expect from a repair by Dr. Vinyl (or a similar shop) would be great.

@stubs300 -
I could have the seats fully redone, but I was hoping to not have to swallow a large bill.

It looks like your center section is leather and the rest of the seat is vinyl, is this true? I'm sorry to say that your seats have crossed the bridge to far. They can be repaired, but with the patch of the missing foam, the size of the wounds and the repair needed, it will show a scar, how bad is the question? That would be up to the techs ability to do a great job. Seams are even harder to repair and make look good like you would want, it's just the nature of the beast sorry to say. I'm sure the Dr. [if there's one?] in your area would say the same.
If you can get skins from Legendary Interiors, get a set and DIY it, that would be your best bet. Foam can be patched and repaired by you depending on how rotten it is? I did it to my foam when I reskinned mine. Hog rings, Hog ring pliers, and a extra pair of hands helps make the job easy. I hope this helps?

Thanks a lot. Yes, it does.

The interior is all-vinyl, original seats. The patina on the material is why I was hoping that a fix would work (well and the cost too).

AFAIK there are no Legendary covers for my car. SMS does carry the needed material (the sample they sent me seems to match) and I have a local upholsterer recommended by a member. Guess that’s what is next.

Legendary might not have the exact covers you have, BUT they might have something for another C-body 2-dr hardtop that might work, in black vinyl, for a similar model year. Just have to go through their online catalog and see what's close.

Otherwise, you might check with some area new car dealers and see where they send their warranty upholstery work. Even just for installation of factory skins. If your research might lead to one repair shop, that could be where to take your car for repairs. Might not be a inexpensive as you might desire, but would hopefully be OEM quality of workmanship.

For example, I a customer needs a "panel replacement" rather than a full cover replacement, the repair shop would install the new panel and it would be undetectable that it has been done. That's what you should be looking for.

Many of those Chryslers had "French-stitch" seams, which is a more expensive way to do things than GM or Ford did. Make sure you get those done as original. It's a better way to do things.

Hopefully, the repair shop will have a "Detroit" or "DeLeo" OEM fabric swatch book to use when ordering the coated fabric vinyls. In the OEM "quality and thickness". Lots of vinyls and fabrics can look similar, but some are significantly heavier-duty than others, but look the same to the untrained eye. Which is where the OEM swatch books come in handy!

There are some other threads in here about restoring the foam via steam heat. Rather than replacing. But if the foam is deteriorating/crumbling (on the carpet under the seats), then new foam of OEM automotive use quality is probably best.

OR, you could get any trim shop to do the "used car trick" and just put a sheet of vinyl over the existing seat covers. A short term fix, but it might work best for you at the present time.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back