Vinyl Top Cleaning

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I belive my mechanical/wrench skills are 2nd to none. However, when it comes to body, paint and vinyl....I suck!

I have some dirt on the new vinyl and I'm asking for recommendations for products and procedures to clean it up. Thanks in advance!

20180815_104742.jpg
20180815_104747.jpg

I am constantly told that my vinyl top looks immaculate. I take regular soap and water and use a sponge and scrub out all of the dirt, and then let it dry really well. Then take a bottle of baby oil and rub it into the top and let it soak up as much as it wants. Clean off the excess, and then buff it to a nice shine!

Bob, that looks like mold. Hit an inconspicuous small spot with bleach and see what happens. Been under a car cover, yes?

Or try "Fantastic" with a stiff bristle brush or an old tooth brush. There are several products out there to coat and protect it.

Never use bleach!

I remember doing this "back in the day" on a silver vinyl top. Car was about 2 years old. Within a year of the bleach treatment, it turned yellow-brown, and started cracking . . . before it disintigrated.

Bleach and vinyl do NOT play well together . . .

I used Simple Green on white conv. tops with good results. It'll remove mold and not harm any paint or plastic trim.

Thanks everyone.

I'll tackle it in the morning with a toothbrush.

I used Simple Green on white conv. tops with good results. It'll remove mold and not harm any paint or plastic trim.
I am thinking of using Simple Green to clean the white (now cream-ish) interior plastic trim around the A-pillar and the rear window in one of my cars. Safe?

To be clear, I want to clean that trim without removing any of it: the idea is to remove some dirt (smudge marks, etc), not to get the trim back to "brand new". I had thought of using Spray Nine but have concluded that it is not a good idea unless I remove the trim, which I have decided against.

@rapidtrans @cbarge @david hill @1970cat @Big_John @bnz84 @saforwardlook

The 303 that @Big_John listed above is my go to. If that doesn't do it, or for really oily/stuck-on stuff, I've been known to hit it with scrubbing bubbles, which works really well.

We used water and vinegar on the inside trim.
Work, cheap, and not harmful.
For stubborn stains I used Red Stallion whitewall cleaner (diluted 50/50) which works the same as 303 or simple green.

I use Simple Green as it’s the least aggressive yet very good cleaner/degreaser. Never had hurt any plastic wether painted or chrome plated.

For inside trim yet another suggestion...if its just dirt and not grease Ive used oxyclean on a wet sponge. Especially on light colors. If its pasty and it sticks on or in the crevices dont try to get it out. Just let it dry and then vacuum. Then another pass with wet sponge. Kinda like Ajax or BonAmi powders.

I never used this on exterior vinyl.

Back