Vinyl top replacement

polara71

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Allow me to ask you Formal guys, where do you buy your replacement material for your vinyl tops? The car in question is a 1974.
How about headliners? The owner wants original stuff.
What do the FCBO formal faithful recommended?

Allow me to ask you Formal guys, where do you buy your replacement material for your vinyl tops? The car in question is a 1974.
How about headliners? The owner wants original stuff.
What do the FCBO formal faithful recommended?

If it has to be factory correct, SMS in Canby Or does a good job. The place is run by two old farts that have been doing this for 40 years and there is no rushing them, so be prepared to wait. Be sure to send them a sample of the material and the VIN number of the car so they know if it is a HT, Formal etc. On the headliner, they will need to know the number of top bows and the type, metal, plastic etc. They will fabricate both the top and headliner if that is what you want. www.smsautofabrics.com

Dave

When I did the Barracuda, the only source I found for a headliner in the correct material was SMS.

Yea, I know... It took three times longer to get it and cost twice as much, but it was correct.

The other option is somebody like these guys who get their headliners made by Acme headliners. Auto Headliners for Car, Truck, Van, SUV - Stock interiors, the Automotive Headliner Experts

Ask for samples and they will come direct from Acme. They may be close enough.

It took me over a year and 2 wrong tops from SMS.

I heard that SMS bought one of the main competitors in the last year or two.

Seems like the Formal vinyl tops were the same Levant grain as GM used for years, back then? But it'll need the correct seams for Chrysler, rather than the GM "center seam" style. I believe that what I consider the "real Chrysler-grain tops" were on the '73 C-body cars?

CBODY67

It took me over a year and 2 wrong tops from SMS.

I heard that SMS bought one of the main competitors in the last year or two.

They bought out Original Auto Interiors of Michigan who also had a lot of vintage vinyl and fabrics that was correct. So SMS is the only game in town for really correct stuff now.

Seems like the Formal vinyl tops were the same Levant grain as GM used for years, back then? But it'll need the correct seams for Chrysler, rather than the GM "center seam" style. I believe that what I consider the "real Chrysler-grain tops" were on the '73 C-body cars?

CBODY67

The Salons used Elk Grain vinyl.

Back