Vn501 wheels

Lilbluecoupe71

Reaction score
Anyone run a set of american racing wheels vn501 17x7 on a 71 300 or fuselage body? Looking for some pics, but cant seem to find much.

Here's my 68 NewYorker, sorry no fuselage but perhaps this will help
DSC04741.JPG

I've been considering some of those, as an alternative to repro Magnum 500s. Especially considering the declining options for 15" tires. I believe the P225/60R-17s are very close in revs/mile to a P225/75R-15 tire, iirc from my research on TireRack.com.

The question is . . . "What backspacing?"

Nice looking cars and wheels!

CBODY67

this is what I was trying to link to - I used one of those $ wheelrite plastic tools to measure correctly. I didn't. In the back is 275/55-17 (29" tall tire) on a 17X9 rim and I got greedy and wanted as deep a wheel as I could get. I could do this because I bought a tool damn it. Measured many times with weight on the axle and got 4.5" back space. So on 10" wide wheel (includes lip) it was 5.5" front depth and 4.5" back depth. Drivers side fit good but I was worried that tire bulge might rub on SS wheel trim so took a grinder to $$ trim and lip. The passenger side rubbed no matter the trimming. Turns out I did most of measuring on the drivers side not thinking the rear end might not be centered. Another wheel at 5.25" back space fixed it. In retrospect 5" backspace on a 17X9 wheel would have worked on both sides. Don't be greedy! I had no issues with rubbing other than the lip. Of course I have not loaded it with 6 people or bags of mulch!

Fronts were 255/55-17 (28" tall) on 17X8 with 4" backspace. So on 9" wide wheel (includes lip) it was 5" front depth and 4" back depth. Worked great. No rubbing even at full lock. For both front and back I was less worried about overall height and more worried about getting some sidewall. Back has 6" sidewall and front 5". Very close to stock. For reference a 235/75-15 is also 29" tall with almost 7" sidewall. Fronts look a bit big but backs are exactly as I wanted them. When you cover part of the tire with body or skirt it masks the overall diameter.

Back