VOLTAGE LIMITER 66 FURY gauges

Rusty Muffler

Reaction score
I've been reading that the limiter should be putting out a constant 5 volts. Napa has a Echlin VT 6187 thats rated at 6 volts. The Echlin specs are regulated 12to 6volts, 1.5 ohm, 4amp max load.

Will this work for my 66 Fury fuel and temp gauges?

Thx!

I suspect that with 6 V, both gages would read a little high. I also suspect the VT 6187 is an electro-mechanical type, which works by switching on and off constantly. That can cause some ripple in your gages.

One e-bay seller has replacement electronic regulators for ~$20. They claim mechanical types can fail in a way to fry your gages. Theirs is also adjustable. However, it is a circuit board you velcro on. I bought one for my 65 Dart, which has the reg inside the fuel gage. Forgot if my 65 Newport has the pluggable can type. I fried its fuel gage years ago (use under-dash since) and have hot/cold lights instead of a temperature gage.

get a new electronic limiter.
In your car,the limiter is inside the fuel guage and runs the temp gauge as well.
The reason to go electronic is more reliability and also no more fuss pulling the dash.
http://rt-eng.com/mediawiki/index.php/RTE_limiter
It is around 50 bux but worth it compared to the headaches and skinned knuckles.

Back