voltage regulator - please help

Electrical & Ignition

1. m0par0rn0car

m0par0rn0car New Member

i was driving my 69 Plymouth fury 3 earlier today and noticed the ammeter acting weird so i did some poking around and decided i needed a new voltage regulator, unfortunately no one around me had one and I'm out of state so had to keel driving. just a few minutes ago the dash started smelling weird and suddenly started pouring smoke so i turned off the car and pulled over, now the right turn signal indicator is melted, the temp and gas gauge don't work and the high beam and left turn indicator are always on. im kind of stuck now and not sure what to do to get the car and myself home

2. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

I suspect that the problem was not the voltage regulator. You might have smoked the ammeter and if that shorted to ground, it probably toasted the circuits on the back of the instrument cluster or the wiring harness. Disconnect the battery before proceeding. Try disconnecting the two wires from the back of the ammeter, check the terminals on the ammeter as you remove the wires, are they loose or burnt? If so, splice the two wires from the ammeter together, that will by pass the ammeter. Try turning the key on to see if that cures the short. If things are still trying to short and smoke, you should probably have the car towed home or to a safe place as it probably is not going to be possible to replace a shorted harness in the field. The ammeter may have been acting weird because of a short in the harness.

Dave

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. m0par0rn0car

m0par0rn0car New Member

I'll try that, but I'm in Tennessee and live in Michigan there's no way I can afford to get it towed bacm

4. Davea Lux

For clarification, you mentioned that the turn signal indicator is melted, are you referring to the socket in the dash or the switch in the column?

Dave

5. Big_John

Big_John Illegitimi non carborundum FCBO Gold Member

Something shorted and it showed in the ammeter when the short caused a big electrical draw on the system. You'll have to figure out what it is and go from there.

It's not the voltage regulator...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. m0par0rn0car

m0par0rn0car New Member

the indicator on the dash

7. Davea Lux

Start looking under the dash for a burnt spot on the harness. Cut the tape off the harness and tray to locate the spot where the short is. If the ammeter was shorted that may have been the source, otherwise, it is in the harness someplace,

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  8. Davea Lux

There is a large plug on the back of the instrument cluster. I will usually have tabs on the ends or the sides that when depressed allow the plug to be removed from the cluster. Removing the plug will remove power to the cluster and disable all the circuits there. You will not have dash lights or gauges, but if the insturment cluster is shorted, that will also get rid of the short and should allow the car to be driven if that is all that is wrong once the ammeter is bypassed.

Dave

9. Sixpactogo

Sixpactogo Member

Probably just one more reason to bypass that damn ammeter. It has caused many a fire and stranded driver.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. James Romano

James Romano Active Member

To get him home, can he just do that and forgo the IP? By that I mean. Disconnect the wires from the ammeter and tape them up?

11. Davea Lux

I think the wires from the ammeter need to be spliced together or the ignition will be dead because the power all feeds thru that circuit. I will pull the wiring diagram and comment further if needed..

Dave

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  12. Davea Lux

Were you able to get the car home?

Dave