.W.S. Wiper Arm Removal on '76 NYB

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here and I'm trying to remove the drive's side windshield wiper arm and I noticed there's a lever (?) of some sort.
My question is,
How do I remove the arm?
Someone told me to check a FSM and all it showed was how to replace the blade and to lubricate a pin.
Thanks.

eRBVP4w.jpg

Posted via Topify on Android

If it is like the 69 you will see a hole laterally near the post. If it is this style you lift the arm and put a drill bit or nail or allen wrench through the hole then press the arm down.

The only other style requires a special tool but if you are careful with a screw driver you can release the hook under the arm at the post.

Alan

I don't see a hole, Alan, so I have to assume it's the latter.
How do I release the hook?

Last edited:
I got mine off by gently prying the arm up with out messing with that clip. Mess with that clip a little too much and it'll break off. Did you break it Stan? Also, you have to gently pry up on the trailing arm. To put the trailing arm back on you have put it on the stud and then nail the stud (not too hard) with a center punch to spread the stud to keep the trailing arm on the stud.

I got mine off by gently prying the arm up with out messing with that clip. Mess with that clip a little too much and it'll break off. Did you break it Stan? Also, you have to gently pry up on the trailing arm. To put the trailing arm back on you have put it on the stud and then nail the stud (not too hard) with a center punch to spread the stud to keep the trailing arm on the stud.
priere-2010.gif

Thanks, Bob.
Can you describe the procedure one more time using these pics?

29qgn4p.jpg

15ocyyu.jpg

25hoffo.jpg

I've been able to get the arm off by gentle prying up (from the bottom) on B with a pry bar at a couple of different spots around B a little at a time so the arm doesn't cock to one side.

I would just leave C alone. Prying it out just a hair will cause that dumb spot weld to break and the clip will just fall off.

Part #3 is what I call the trailing arm. You have to gently pry it off the stud. To put it back on and keep it in place I just simply fit the trailing arm back on the stud and give it whack dead center with the center punch to spread the stud metal material just enough to keep the trailing arm on the stud and allow the trailing arm to still rotate on the stud when the wipers are turned on.

Does ABC get pried off or just B and AC remains on the post?
I'm asking because I have the tool just for prying arms off and I'm wondering where to slip it in.
Under the whole thing or just under B.

Just B. Any pressure on A or C and they will break. Then 3 will have to worked off the stud. You'll see the stud when you start prying the arm off.

Hi. I'm new here and I'm trying to remove the drive's side windshield wiper arm and I noticed there's a lever (?) of some sort.
My question is,
How do I remove the arm?
Someone told me to check a FSM and all it showed was how to replace the blade and to lubricate a pin.
Thanks.

I don't see a hole, Alan, so I have to assume it's the latter.
How do I release the hook?

priere-2010.gif

Thanks, Bob.
Can you describe the procedure one more time using these pics?

Does ABC get pried off or just B and AC remains on the post?
I'm asking because I have the tool just for prying arms off and I'm wondering where to slip it in.
Under the whole thing or just under B.

Oh my goodness, do you want me to just do it for you?

You? You'll drive it to someone who will do it for you...
Besides, have you ever totally F%$#-ed up an arm assembly because you thought you knew how easy it was to "pop" it off.
AMHIK.

Last edited:
With double blade plastic Chrome wipers.

Ok., Bob, I got it off and back on thanks to your help.

I would like to add something for the other Formal owners.
A and C work together and act like the blades of a pair of scissors. When the arm is on the knurled post, A&C are closed and keep the arm from popping off the post. The arm very easily comes off when A&C are in the open position.

Here's the trick: To spread open A&C, you have to swing back on the upper arm from the arm joint that fits over the post. When you do that, there is a pivot mechanism that swings out (open) A&C and the whole arm literally pops off.
I found out that way doesn't require any prying with a bar or tool.

Last edited:
Back