Wagon EFI

Chandler

Reaction score
I’m currently installing a Holley Sniper EFI system on a ‘73 Custom suburban and noticed there isn’t a whole lot of support/discussion regarding installing these systems on our Wagons .
So I figured it wouldn’t hurt to share how I’ve installed mine and what I’ve learnt in the process.

B3A972E0-F1A6-4163-8532-091C466EF668.jpeg

546073B3-AAAD-4712-9E54-C1B82696DAC2.jpeg

DBEECCEF-F8BE-4F80-B5FE-8E180C18A837.jpeg

Last edited:
Its been mentioned elsewhere on the forums but I think it bears repeating for those who haven’t found out the hard way yet. To remove/drop the fuel tank on the Fuselage Wagons (and I presume the earlier ones) you’re going to need to drop the axle.
I found removing the drums and the rear perch bolts and letting the axle hang as possible without pulling on the brake lines worked well.

EDIT: I also unbolted the shocks from their upper mounts to drop the axle

Last edited:
You can do it this way also, as long as your brake lines are still pliable and you gently let the backing plate down.
20200708_102022.jpg

That’s a bad idea to let that hang and bend the line. As long as your brake lines are pliable? WTH those metal lines aren’t to be bend back and forth for kicks.

The best way there is to unscrew the line from the wheel cylinder and put a small vacuum cap over the end of the metal line and it will not drip fluid.

Where is your parking brake cable??

Sorry to say another really bad idea is having the fuel lines pump and filter outboard of the frame rail and in the wheelwell area. It could get damaged from gravel and road debris and cars a leak or burn your car to the ground.

A better way if you need it there is use braided lines with bolt on fitting and make shields for the pump and filter.

Did you ever see the factory putting lines in those areas? There’s a good reason they did not do it, safety.

Sorry to rain on your parade but this is not a good thing to show this to others as a good idea to follow.

I agree 100% the pump and filter need to be protected & fully intend to shield them with an enclosure to protect from debris. Their placement is what I found worked best to keep the pump near the tank. The inboard side of the rail would have placed the pump and line too close to the exhaust for my liking.

Do you have the shield that goes between the tire and the gas tank? That may cover a major portion of the lines and could be added to to coverup the remaining bits.

upload_2021-1-13_12-34-33.png

Very cool! I want to do this to my wagon as well but prefer an in tank pump. Don't know what system I will end up going with when I do.

On my wife's 71 Chevelle we went with Fast EZ EFI and used the kit supplied frame mounted pump. We had cavitation issues and it was so noisy that we scrapped that pump and went in tank. We ended up using a custom tank from Ricks Tanks. It is quiet and we have no issues with it running, just a paint to put gas in it but that has become an issue with the newer pumps and my old behind the plate fill neck. We did this 8 years ago and don't regret it. Plan to do this to my wagon as well but in tank options are slim but aeromotive has some interesting options for adapting in tank pumps to old tanks.

Back