Waldron, TTI or custom bent.

rapidtrans

Reaction score
After a month and a half email exchange with Waldron I give up. Their communication skills leave much room for improvement. After my initial inquiry asking, “do you have a dual exhaust system kit to replace my factory single exhaust system?”, and emails from them talking about “H” pipes, then lt. and rt. side exhaust pipes, I finally get an email stating,“we make the dual exhaust system”, then ending the same paragraph with, “We do not make a dual exhaust systems for single exhaust systems.” Confused?
Apparently, like TTI, Waldron only reproduces factory pipes not “conversion” to dual exhaust systems. Even though they do make the single exhaust system and they do know what manifold and flange arrangement are required.
Have any of you guys run across this?
So after calling around. Any number of local shops here can bend the tailpipes per factory cards then custom bend the exhaust pipes to manifold. I buy the hemi mufflers and over axle tailpipe hangers. They will install all for less $$ than Waldron.

I had a similar issue trying to go to a dual exhaust on my New Yorker in regards to Waldron coincidentally enough... After talking it over with some of my buddies, I spent roughly the same amount (a little bit more) and had a custom exhaust shop do it.

I don't have a lift, tube bender, etc. so I would have spent a lot of time on my back. Long story short, unless you really feel like putting in the research and the wrench time, I found it to be one of the mods worth paying a pro to do. Especially since it was a similar cost.

My experiences with exhaust shop-bent pipes drove me right to the OEM replacement Walker pipes, back when we could still get them in the 1980s. Put the car on jackstands, laid on my back, and made it happen. BUT that was 30+ years ago and not in recent history! I still like the idea of clamped systems that, if need be, be done away from an exhaust system shop, personally, and NOT welded together (which is how most around here like to do things, but also screws things if they don't get it right, which few seem to be able to do, from my experiences).

I know there are some great custom exhaust benders out there, but finding one locally seems to be one of those "hen's teeth" sort of things. Even the mediocre ones seem to perceive that they can do great work . . . so check their work on other vehicles FIRST, if possible. Not unlike finding a good body shop paint and body person.

Wondering if the issue with these vendors might have been the approach? Rather than stating that you have a single system and want to end up with a factory dual system, why not just tell them what you need (supplying the exhaust manifold casting numbers), what you want to end up with, rather than getting into the "conversion" deal (which seems to confuse them)?

"Conversion"/upgrade is not the deal, just what you want to end up with (factory dual exhaust system to attach to a particular pair of exhaust manifolds. BTAIM

Respectfully, just some thoughts and experiences,
CBODY67

I like the tti kits, have two, and will get one, maybe two more. Never checked with Waldron, only Accurate, and they only make the C body pipes once per year, after they've made all the B and E body guys happy. Very happy with the results, and ease of installation.

Like anything else, when you go stock I'm sure Waldron and whoever else is fine, but when you deviate/customize, probably better off goin with an exhaust shop.

Like anything else, when you go stock I'm sure Waldron and whoever else is fine, but when you deviate/customize, probably better off goin with an exhaust shop.
Tti makes good stuff. Maybe two pipes need to be cut and that's it. I couldn't find a shop near me to do it, and I can only blame me for any misalignment.

I've always had good results from custom shops, and yes, this requires a little research to find a good one, but once you start talking to fellow car-guys the field begins to narrow quickly. "You gotta go to Gus at Muffler King. He's been there 20 years. He's got an LS6 Chevelle and a Hemi GTX!"....that sort of word-of-mouth.

A custom shop allows for the "little things" that might not work on your particular car vs. factory repro pipes made to an OEM configuration. For instance, they can do the tips in a style you prefer, meaning barely showing or Showing Off Beyond The Bumper. And maybe you have a built engine and want and H-pipe. That sort of "little things".

The one thing I'll warn about with shops: They get really creative with hangers and clamps. "Gus" would think nothing-of-it to punch a hole in your frame rail with his air hammer at a location convenient to him and put a strap there. Or weld that strap there :BangHead:. My advice is to think about your hangers in advance, buy proper repro items for a dual exhaust version of your car, and make Gus use the original mounting locations. When a good bender like Gus has a target of proper hangers, maybe his pride in his work, and the challenge of doing it right for someone who knows what he wants will cause him to really rise to the occasion.

So....custom bender, do your homework, know what you want before you get there, bring proper hardware, and maybe the FSM should be handy in case of disputes. That Gus is a crotchety SOB!

Having said all that above, if I was restoring a hemiCuda (again) to concours standards, I would not hesitate for one second about spending $5K with ECS for their Chrysler-licensed repro exhausts. I've seen this stuff at Carlisle (many of us have), and it's amazing. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Mopar

My experiences with exhaust shop-bent pipes drove me right to the OEM replacement Walker pipes, back when we could still get them in the 1980s. Put the car on jackstands, laid on my back, and made it happen. BUT that was 30+ years ago and not in recent history! I still like the idea of clamped systems that, if need be, be done away from an exhaust system shop, personally, and NOT welded together (which is how most around here like to do things, but also screws things if they don't get it right, which few seem to be able to do, from my experiences).

I know there are some great custom exhaust benders out there, but finding one locally seems to be one of those "hen's teeth" sort of things. Even the mediocre ones seem to perceive that they can do great work . . . so check their work on other vehicles FIRST, if possible. Not unlike finding a good body shop paint and body person.

Wondering if the issue with these vendors might have been the approach? Rather than stating that you have a single system and want to end up with a factory dual system, why not just tell them what you need (supplying the exhaust manifold casting numbers), what you want to end up with, rather than getting into the "conversion" deal (which seems to confuse them)?

"Conversion"/upgrade is not the deal, just what you want to end up with (factory dual exhaust system to attach to a particular pair of exhaust manifolds. BTAIM

Respectfully, just some thoughts and experiences,
CBODY67
I have all that info and offered to include pictures. No dice. Waldron wasn’t interested. Neither TTI or Waldron will make non factory pipes.
The Detroit area has plenty of custom exhaust shops that will reproduce the factory tailpipes and just bend custom pipes from muffler to log manifold flange. The ones I contacted knew exactly what I wanted. So far quotes for done system are less than a TTI s.s. kit.

CBODY67
Forgive My Frivolity,
But Your "30 Year" Comment made me Think of an Old & Risque Saying.
In My Declining Years, When it comes to Working on Cars, What I used to Do All Day.... Now Takes Me All Day to Do.
Regards, Tony.M

I don't have experience with TTI systems but have heard a lot of positive things about them, I bend exhaust at my shop and can do it well, so that is my suggestion but if you can't find a competent shop that is the pickle, I have installed kits for customers but the problem of fitment can stem from many variables; not the same company's headers, too many joints and less than stable hangers, etc, even on popular applications like a 69 Camaro, even some really decent kits benefitted from the tweaks I could give

Usually I dont give regard to reusing stock hangers, unless it is a restoration job or original vehicle, if you have long tube headers and such and desire a non original exit no sense in replicating the original system, the rubber block hangers I use are more rigid and hold the 2.5 inch tail pipe in the right spot by the gas tank/diff/shock area than a rubber strap, sometimes have to be mindful of not putting too many hangers and creating a vibration, but always, if it is not a beater, bolt the hanger to the frame so if you to remove the exhaust its easier, I like welding it all solid, it stays where it should and doesn't leak, yes you have to cut it to tear it apart sometime, but there are no seams to leak

So much to consider but I would say if you could find a shop who's welds look factory they may be worth a try

@69PHOENIX As we increase in age and experiences, sometimes . . . it is necessary to ponder just which way to approach things, with which tools, on which day . . . which can delay related activities (which can sometimes be a good thing).

Enjoy!
CBODY67

TTI exhaust systems are TOPS in my book! You tell them what car, engine, trans,and manifold casting numbers, and you will get an exhaust system that you will be very happy with. Their customer service is the best! They are pricy, but well worth the money! They are mandrel bent, very few muffler shops can mandrel bend pipes. I have a manifold back system on my 69 Coronet R/T, with their stainless tips. I have a manifold back system on my 71 Polara patrol car in my avatar. They sound nice and fit great, and again their customer service is #1.

I'm going to install another TTI kit on my 67 Coronet that I put a 440 in. The Coronet doesn't look like it is worth putting a $700-$800 exhaust system on, but it will make the car!

For fuselage convertible owners:
I used TTI 2.5" dual exhaust with H-pipe.

Right side: pipes and hangers were perfect.

Left side: TTI sent the wrong over-axle hanger twice and stopped returning my calls. I had to use 2 bolts and make my own. Also, I had to add a hanger under the rear seat. In addition, I had to cut off the tailpipe lever from the top of the pipe and throw away the left side tailpipe hanger. If I mounted the TTI hanger to the inside of my subframe, the pipe hit the shock. (Yes I tried adjusting the pipe position over and over, no luck) If I mounted the TTI hanger to the outside of my subframe, the hanger hit the leaf spring shackle.

With all due respect to TTI lovers, I agree with @Keith926 and @Trace 300 Hurst. If I ever buy another exhaust system for my 1970 convertible, it will not be from TTI. I'm going to use a reputable local shop.

Disclaimer: I have not used TTI on a coupe or sedan. I do not know if the height/shape of the cross member and trunk pan above the rear axle is the same. Since they take the same rear shock, I believe the cross members are the same, but that is only a guess. My experience may only apply to 1969-1970 c-body convertibles.

Back