want a rear sway bar for 69 NY...

mtandrews

Reaction score
I know they didn't come with one in 69, but they were available for 74-78 NY'ers. Just wondering out loud how much difference the rear suspension setup is betwixt the two. Of course we know these weren't meant to be corner burners but a little extra stability wouldn't hurt. Even if the fitment is close that would be good enough for me to pull out some steel stock and fire up the MIG welder...

I have a feeling that the '74 New Yorker rear sway bar will work on your '69. The factory sway bar set up consists of a couple of sway bar mounting plates that fit between the top of your leaf spring and the rear diff. housing. Then, there are a couple of pivot mounts that bolt to the frame. Straight forward installation.

I installed a rear sway bar from a '77 Monaco California Highway Patrol car onto my first '68 Fury. The handling of this Fury was like day and night and the sway bar was one of the best upgrades that I made on the car.

I am also looking for a factory rear sway bar for my second '68 Fury, have been looking without much luck, and a call to Firmfeel is probably in my future.

Digging in the back of a late-60s Chrysler parts book, many years ago, I found a rear sway bar listed in the very back "Police" section, with the notation "LAPD" with it. Never had seen any mention of such anywhere else!

Key things would be that the frame rail width ahead of the rear wheels is "close enough" to the width of the bar to work, as that's the body mount side of things for the bar. A friend used to have a '66 Polara 2-dr ht. He added a Cordoba (B-body series) rear bar, having to heat it up to get it to bend a little more for the hookup to the body, as I recall. It's been a while since I thought about those things.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

CBODY67,
During the 60s, the LAPD got serious about their fleet and wanted to do something about cutting down pursuit times and getting something that would not understeer the cruisers off the road.
Only LAPD cars had them in the late 60s....supposedly.
My dad ordered a 68 Coronet cop car thru the zone manager and it came with one. Fun car to drive.

68CoronetNew.jpg

My older brother just added a late 80's Ford Dually rear bar to his 97 Dodge 3500 van and is now ready to go autocrossing with it.
There is that much of a difference.

SwayBar-1.jpg

Firm feel

:eusa_clap:I just purchased an 1 1/4 front sway bar form my 73' Polara. Although it hasn't come in yet I feel confident that if it is even 1/2 the improvement the rebult steering box was it will be phenominal. I plan on purchasing a rear sway bar kit from them in the near future. It looks like the best way to go. Check out their web site for photos. Also Mopar Action ran an article about improving and upgrading the steering and suspension of c-bodies using a 74'-77' New Yorker as an example. The improvements you can make are only limited by your mechanical abilities and wallet. Good luck with your project.

Back