Want to go insane using eBay?

Carmine

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
So I worked on this $*%& ad for hours. Then I hit the big ol' LIST IT button and get an error.

It keeps telling me "The Item Specific Mileage is Missing". I try a six-digit number. I try an oddball number (I might drive it this week, so I overshot the actual mileage). I save as draft. I refresh. I try a zero. Nothing works. THERE IS AN E'FFING NUMBER IN THE BOX! Now I'm in a panic because hours worth of typing this HTML crap is about to be worthless. Then it hits me...

upload_2017-7-23_17-39-47.png

Oh yeah, f*(^&'ing eBay, I live in America, not China were *&%#'ing COMMAS are unheard of! You mean to tell me they can't write "no commas"? Or how about doing the same thing the programmers at my rust-belt job figured out 20-years ago? All commas will be automatically truncated.

Ugh.

I hear you big time! Preparing a listing for Ebay is nothing but a pain. I get a knot in my stomach until I have successfully completed a listing, fearing that all the time I have spent will be wasted by clicking on the wrong thing and wiping out a ton of work. So many restrictions and limited flexibility of their software. It just tells me managment is asleep at the wheel waiting for Bring A Trailer or some other option to clean their clock and put them out of business. In this day and age, there is no excuse for their stupidity and laziness. Smarter, more motivated people will eventually prevail. Probably the Chinese................ And then we wonder where all the jobs go in this country. Ugh!

I hear you big time! Preparing a listing for Ebay is nothing but a pain. I get a knot in my stomach until I have successfully completed a listing, fearing that all the time I have spent will be wasted by clicking on the wrong thing and wiping out a ton of work. So many restrictions and limited flexibility of their software. It just tells me managment is asleep at the wheel waiting for Bring A Trailer or some other option to clean their clock and put them out of business. In this day and age, there is no excuse for their stupidity and laziness. Smarter, more motivated people will eventually prevail. Probably the Chinese................ And then we wonder where all the jobs go in this country. Ugh!

You know... The fact that commas are rather Anglo does provide a possible clue. You, me and a guy in an Iowa cornfield would recognize this as a problem. My guess is the code was written by someone from a culture that used "." or "nothing" instead of a comma. Probably one of those H1B visa holders doing the jobs American's won't do (for $8.50 an hour).

I thought about BAT, but legions of snarky pajama boys talking about "gas-guzzling-boat-cars" would probably piss me off as much as ebay.

Or how about doing the same thing the programmers at my rust-belt job figured out 20-years ago? All commas will be automatically truncated.

Ugh.

I'm sure Ebay is like most corporations these days that only have skeleton IT staff whose main focus is hiring contract consultants on a project basis. None of them have any tie to the operations or understand user needs. The result is poor system development and testing. The core problem is senior management is generally clueless about the importance of good systems tools since they never have to use them. This issue is one of the reasons I just retired. Couldn't handle another ERP project as we restructured.

Unfortunately, I don't think that is going to happen, Steve

View attachment 135242

You may well be right Stan. We Americans put up with too much B.S. these days before doing something about it - look at our government! I like that people are finally going to town halls and at least expressing their voices - and are finally being heard.

Couldn't handle another ERP project
I had to Google that

What Is ERP?
The acronym ERP stands for enterprise resource planning. It refers to the systems and software packages used by organizations to manage day-to-day business activities, such as accounting, procurement, project management and manufacturing. ERP systems tie together and define a plethora of business processes and enable the flow of data between them. By collecting an organization’s shared transactional data from multiple sources, ERP systems eliminate data duplication and provide data integrity with a “single source of truth.”

Today, ERP systems are critical for managing thousands of businesses of all sizes and in all industries. To these companies, ERP is as indispensable as the electricity that keeps the lights on.

WTF did I just read, Fred? Is that the most recent corporate - speak?
We're doomed. That reads like a SNL mock skit. Why can't they say, Software to run a business.

An be lucky that the buyer dosent scam you out the money and the item.JUST happened to me and there is nothing that can be done, absolutely NOTHING. I'm done selling on eBay, it's become too much of a pro-buyer biased platform. As a seller you have no protection against that...

I had to Google that

What Is ERP?
The acronym ERP stands for enterprise resource planning. It refers to the systems and software packages used by organizations to manage day-to-day business activities, such as accounting, procurement, project management and manufacturing. ERP systems tie together and define a plethora of business processes and enable the flow of data between them. By collecting an organization’s shared transactional data from multiple sources, ERP systems eliminate data duplication and provide data integrity with a “single source of truth.”

Today, ERP systems are critical for managing thousands of businesses of all sizes and in all industries. To these companies, ERP is as indispensable as the electricity that keeps the lights on.

We're doomed. That reads like a SNL mock skit. Why can't they say, Software to run a business.
I venture to guess that anyone here that works/worked for a large company in the last decade and accesses systems has gone through one of these excruciating ERP exercises. In these companies they want employees that can adapt to the POS systems that are in place rather than developing systems that actually assist employees to do their job. That's one reason I decided to hang it up.

I had to Google that

What Is ERP?

yup .. ERP, CSM, PLM, PDM .. starts to sound like a list of things the ladies in the trashy classifieds will do for money.
I'm thankful to work for a small Tool, Die and manufacturing company that started in 1942. When they have asked me about these things, I simply say "this is what they are supposed to do, this is how we already do it and this is why investing tens of thousands of dollars to do it that way is stupid." and thats generally the end of it.

I never type the commas, just let the code display them. More and more I find myself having to type the extra zeros to move the amount past the period, 2=$0.02, 20=$0.20, 200=$2.00, 2000=$20.00, etc.

Alan

See,I always say to my wife "you so weird with the commas" cause my European me has $2.000 =2000 or $2.000,15 = 2000.15. comma is a divider for me, after a decimal and period is used to "organize" a higher number. I guess it's just different in the cultures. Same as, the GPS told me earlier to "turn in 800feet" and I'm like "800ft?? So that's 1 foot is 12" which is what 30cm so 800x30 is how many meters???" And then I said "see, that's what my brain constantly has to do here in the states lol.

See,I always say to my wife "you so weird with the commas" cause my European me has $2.000 =2000 or $2.000,15 = 2000.15. comma is a divider for me, after a decimal and period is used to "organize" a higher number. I guess it's just different in the cultures. Same as, the GPS told me earlier to "turn in 800feet" and I'm like "800ft?? So that's 1 foot is 12" which is what 30cm so 800x30 is how many meters???" And then I said "see, that's what my brain constantly has to do here in the states lol.

I hear you:)

"I drove 60 km in - 5°C weather to get 8 litres of petro when I got a flat tyre and... "

I wish you guys would speak Americanese. :realcrazy:

Or America should adjust to the rest of the world...

I mean, we do stuff by 10s. 1km (KILO, and kilo is the term for 1000) is 1000meters. Is real simple. But here, 1 mile is what?? 8581.1/2 feet, what the hell??? Who calculates with that. Temperature is easy too. Water freezes at 0° anything "-" is colder, anything "+" is warmer. Look at litres, 1 litre is 100mililitre. Instead of 1 gallon being 3.82whatever leader had the biggest dick back then measurement lol. I had no clue what I'd get into with that...I got it down as far as I can tell smaller units in inches or feet cause I know 3ft is roughly 1meter, so I'm good to judge that but other than that...dayum.

Last edited:
Back